Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a taller new rider looking at some Dainese and Rev'it jackets for my bike. I only plan on riding in nicer weather, say late April to early/mid October, so it doesn't need to be too serious (or stylish), just safe and well fitting.

A friend of mine is offering me a Dainese racing leather jacket in size 56, which I believe is my size. My other option is a brand new textile one (likely the $280 Avro). The leather's MSRP is $600, but my friend only wants $350. Are there major differences in style between a racing and textile jacket that would effect me as a n00b rider? Is there anything I should know about buying a leather jacket, new or used?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
326 Posts
you cant beat the protection that real leather offers imo. but for legal street speeds textile will work fine. jacket should fit snuggly, but not limit movement or create discomfort. the jacket should also not flap in the wind. a high percentage of all motorcycle fatalities are from internal injuries to the torso, rather than head injuries.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree the leather will offer better protection but in hot weather you will find it hard to wear. I have one of each.. my race leathers are for evening rides cooler weather and track days, my textile is for hot weather.. it's a light mesh that you can see through with padding where it's needed and best of all I bought it on Kijiji for $40 (joe rocket Ballistics) my vote is buy both.. but $350 used.. little pricey.. I paid $200 for RC1 jacket and paints needed a good clean and a few stitches but looks great now. I would suggest keep an eye out for used stuff, jackets are sold all the time because people sell there bike or buy a new one and want one that matches the bike.. you can get some great deals if you are patient and watch

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I'm in the "get both" camp too.

My Rev'It Tarmac leather jacket is good up to about 85...after that it doesn't really flow enough air to keep you from sweating the whole time.

My Rev'It Air mesh jacket is good up into the 90s. It noticably flows more air.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I can afford both......I like the extra protection offered by the leather one though.

Is there anything you guys would look for in terms of buying a used leather jacket? Should I request that he include anything?

Also, where, in general should a jacket hit in terms of my wrist and waist. I wear jeans when I ride, and most jackets seem to cover about half of the belt, if that. Should they go down further?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The textile jackets are single use. The leather can sustain an off and keep going. I can tell no difference heat wise with the textile vs the leather. I got the joe rocket jacket that has the zip out panel down the sides and arms pretty comfy till it hits 90 deg. Then nothing is comfy.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
As a noob rider, you don't know what you want or like. My advice is don't rush out and spend a fortune on gear. Buy a closeout textile jacket with CE armor in the elbows and shoulders for $60, upgrade the back protector to a CE pad for an extra $10 - $30, and use it for a season. After that, if you still want to blow hundreds of dollars, next season get what you really want (as opposed to what someone wants to sell you), and keep the first jacket as a backup and/or for passengers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey i'm 6ft wore leathers for years, the uk heat not being a problem but now they are old i have bought a set of Rev It gear jacket, trousers and winter gloves and was pleasantly surprised how well the gear fitted and felt more substantial than i thought it would be, but i ALWAYS wear a back protector aswell as there is little or no protection for your back. got to say though if i was sliding down the road i would prefer to have my leathers on. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
by the way i have had 2 offs in my leathers and apart from a bit of stitching and scratches the are a ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing as how I have little money, I may go the closeout route instead and pick up one of these:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-alter-ego-20-jacket

The medium tall is the only size that fits me. I like Dainese because their stuff fits me in the arm/body without getting huge around the waist. It's impossible to buy gear as a tall skinny guy. I could have this for a year or so and buy something better when I have the money and a better sense of what I want. Any advice on other things to look at?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pants and Boots I bought a pair of pants off a guy on here for 100 that go for 150 so look around in the gear for sale section also

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Fieldsheer and Cortech/Tourmaster sell jackets in tall sizes. Their budget textile jackets regularly get discounted for less than $100. Between these brands, I prefer Fieldsheer -- IMO, their stuff is slightly higher quality. Also, Fieldsheer sells a really nice CE backpad upgrade for only $10. (Joe Rocket gets $90 for theirs.)

Also check the for sale section, eBay and craigslist for deals. I just bought an A* textile jacket that Ick listed on SVR for $65, shipped. Retail was about a hundred dollars more than that. (I already own an A* CE back protector -- I just have to switch it out of my A* mesh jacket ($109 on closeout) when I want to wear the solid textile jacket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Those are both nice jackets and at a good price for each.

The JR has removable textile panels that reveal mesh underneath, and uses a separate zip-in waterproof liner for its water-resistance, while the Cortech has zippered vents and a built-in waterproof membrane bonded inside the fabric. So, the JR will be better for warmer weather, while the Cortech will work better in moderate weather. For rainy weather, having a waterproof jacket is more convenient than having to stop and put in a liner (although you can bring a rain suit and not have to deal with zipping in a jacket liner). Also, the Cortech has a quilted zip-in liner, so you could wear it in cooler weather.

As a do-it-all jacket, I think the Cortech will be more versatile. Unless you live in the Sunbelt, it shouldn't be that much more hot to wear than the JR, and in rainy or cooler weather, or if the weather is quite changeable where you ride, you'll appreciate its features. If it's mostly hot and dry when you ride, though, get the JR.

Hope that was clear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Call me crazy... i've had both.. and never really noticed a huge difference in "cool temp" between them. When moving a leather that has air vents or air zippers cool just as well. When stopped...both are gross. Now as far as protection.... no question which is better, that's obvious. I always found leather easier to clean, just spray it down, fab always seemed to look "dirty" unless pure black. But most of all is how it sat on my body... leather is heavy...feels solid. I found textile coats always flapped around somewhere that annoyed me on a 1 hour ride. Clearly i have a preference..lol... but you gotta try them both to decide.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i have thre pairs of textile pants, two pairs of leather pants, three textile jacket and two leather ones. 4 new helmets. and 8 pairs of gloves. and im only an airman.... how do i afford this crap? must be those deployments.....NOT!

i like both leather and textile. and i will wear whichever provides the most overall protection for what im doing. whether its commuting in the winter to stay warm, or carving a mountain to save my hide. or a combination of the two. just pick what does a little of everything well.

so a good 3 or 4 season textile jacket can go a long way for you. especially if you know what gloves and face mask and even an electric vest to use in the winter. or how to stay focused on a warmer summer day. etc etc, im just rambling. find the pace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts