Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this!

Sorry, but no apologies to NASCAR fans!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Its no wonder the sport never took off in Australia.
And it makes you dizzy just watching.
They could at least go around clockwise occasionally for something different.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Many drivers that have done multiple forms of racing have said NASCAR is the one of the more difficult. I'd provide you with links, but I am lazy.

NASCAR vehicles don't produce much downforce - they're already just barely in control and sometimes sliding as it is. They've experimented with rain tires before, but lap times were much, much slower when they used them. The cars also don't have any wipers or way to defog the windshield.

And this coming from a person who has never watched a NASCAR race. :p

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
[sarcasm]They need to build indoor NASCAR ovals. Problem solved.[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Many drivers that have done multiple forms of racing have said NASCAR is the one of the more difficult. I'd provide you with links, but I am lazy.

NASCAR vehicles don't produce much downforce - they're already just barely in control and sometimes sliding as it is. They've experimented with rain tires before, but lap times were much, much slower when they used them. The cars also don't have any wipers or way to defog the windshield.

And this coming from a person who has never watched a NASCAR race. :p
Like Bob said they have tried it! I am a NASCAR fan! Always have been and always will be! They will install a wiper for Road Courses but they have no way of keeping the windshield defogged. Also those 2.5 ton cars sliding around on a oval while dry is dangerous enough, you add water to the mix and you have a recipe for disaster. It's not they don't want to run in the rain it's just pure safety that they don't. Watch the in car cams once when the car is not handling all that well at 188mph and see how much there arms are moving. I'm not trying to start a internet battle just purely stating the facts.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Like Bob said they have tried it! I am a NASCAR fan! Always have been and always will be! They will install a wiper for Road Courses but they have no way of keeping the windshield defogged. Also those 2.5 ton cars sliding around on a oval while dry is dangerous enough, you add water to the mix and you have a recipe for disaster. It's not they don't want to run in the rain it's just pure safety that they don't. Watch the in car cams once when the car is not handling all that well at 188mph and see how much there arms are moving. I'm not trying to start a internet battle just purely stating the facts.
Of course the cars will be slower, but there is no reason that they can't set up to run in the rain, they just don't want to, and the fans would all go home.
Saying that rain would make it too dangerous isn't really valid IMO. You just go as fast as the conditions allow. Everybody has the same handicap in the rain..... Besides, I don't have wipers on my helmet and you don't see me crying about it!

For sure, it takes skill to drive the big cars fast, but I still like the dig at NASCAR ;)

Rain tires just allow you to go faster before you crash anyway!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Saying that rain would make it too dangerous isn't really valid IMO. You just go as fast as the conditions allow. Everybody has the same handicap in the rain.....
Even a mild familiarity with NASCAR should suggest that this is nonsense.

NASCAR uses its rules to make the racing as tight as possible. It's not unusual to see cars going around a banked turn, three-wide, flat out. Multiple passes on the same lap are not unusual. Compare that to F1 and other forms of road racing, where the cars parade around the track single-file, and drop their speed significantly in the turns.

NASCAR allows contact. "Rubbin' is racin'." Again, compare that to most other forms of auto racing and moto racing, where even the slightest unintentional contact will get you penalized, or even black flagged.

As previously noted, NASCAR drivers are on the ragged edge for nearly all of the race -- and that's with a clean track and maximum traction. Again, most other forms of racing do not run at the limit, at least not for nearly all of the race.

Simply put, the idea that they could simply slow down is absurd. If you think they call the races on Sunday so they can grab that huge Monday afternoon TV audience (of invalids, the elderly, and stay-at-home moms), you're nuts.

NASCAR doesn't race in the rain because if they did, a lot of drivers would die. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

NASCAR uses its rules to make the racing as tight as possible. It's not unusual to see cars going around a banked turn, three-wide, flat out. Multiple passes on the same lap are not unusual. Compare that to F1 and other forms of road racing, where the cars parade around the track single-file, and drop their speed significantly in the turns.

NASCAR allows contact. "Rubbin' is racin'." Again, compare that to most other forms of auto racing and moto racing, where even the slightest unintentional contact will get you penalized, or even black flagged.

As previously noted, NASCAR drivers are on the ragged edge for nearly all of the race -- and that's with a clean track and maximum traction. Again, most other forms of racing do not run at the limit, at least not for nearly all of the race.

Simply put, the idea that they could simply slow down is absurd. If you think they call the races on Sunday so they can grab that huge Monday afternoon TV audience (of invalids, the elderly, and stay-at-home moms), you're nuts.

NASCAR doesn't race in the rain because if they did, a lot of drivers would die. Simple as that.
Your comment about unintentional contact is completely inaccurate. It happens all the time in virtually every form of motorsports without penalty or black flag (just ask any racer here on the forum). And equating a drop in speed in a corner with not being at the limit is ridiculous. NASCAR style racing is simply a different form of being "at the limit"

Again, they could race in the rain if they chose to and no one puts a gun to their head to make them drive a certain speed. They obviously couldn't go as fast in the rain and the allowed contact is their own decision. I know NASCAR racing doesn't lend itself well to racing in the rain, and that's simply because of the way they wrote their rules.

Even so, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good NASCAR race in the dry.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
NASCAR vehicles don't produce much downforce - they're already just barely in control and sometimes sliding as it is.
They keep changing rules to have less downforce.

Was it last year Carl Edwards complained that the cars have too much downforce making the cars run very similar lap times.

In my opinion downforce makes the cars easier to handle. So then it becomes a drivers race, not a who has thrown the most money at the car.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
1) no way does a NASCAR "stock" car weigh 2.5 tons... my 2000 Blazer small format tank doesn't weigh that much - I would think 3500ish at the upper limit
2) anyone who says ANY racing format isn't on the limit is just plain incorrect - racing is all about being on the limit...
3) Rain races would be possible and safe even for nascar....if humans can do it on 2 wheels on a fire breathing 280hp monster bike the 100x grip factor of a stock car should certainly be able to deal with it...I mean it's only left turns right? (GRIN)

Just my 2 cents...oh and trace you know most of us watch nascar to see the spectacular crashes....

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

I fail to see how your comment is a response to tgold. Well, most of it is unrelated, and there to stroke the sport.

I agree with him: they wouldn't be going around banked turns at 188mph flat out, because there would be rain, so they'd allow more room, they'd be at partial throttle, etc. Unless you're saying the throttle is an on/off switch.

But yea, if you have a 30 foot straight away in front of you for 2 miles, you'll be going full throttle, which I assume is what you mean by ragged edge.

Either way, having a full course caution because someone spun by himself, is back pointing the right way and moving under their own power is silly to me. Just an attempt to bunch the field up to improve the show. Sounds like something Americans would do to a sport. Gotta get those bucks, even if it means diluting the sport.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Note to self, to avoid a useless debate where no party's opinion will be persuaded to compromise with the others, don't discuss religion politics or nascar... Lmao

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wish I had the courage and skill to ride in the rain at speed. I've tried riding t trackdays and just didn't hide myself enough time to get comfortable with the grip.

But IMO, NASCAR is far from racing. Rubbing is not racing, it's just a lack of skill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts