Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to rile the troops up for a trip to Blackhawk next year - I assume with CCS?

What all do we need to know? (classes to register, what is the quick lowdown on SS rules, link to a rulebook?)

Are the dates released yet?

Pretty sure the CRA license reciprocates over there so not too worried about that!

·
Registered
198 Posts
CCS will probably have 4-5 weekends there next year. The CCS midwest region prettymuch only races there, Road America, and Heartland Park.

Wera had one weekend there this last year. We will see what next year brings.

Yes, you can race supertwins. It is not at all like LW though. Its more of an unlimited displacement superbike class but its only restriction is having a twin-cylinder bike.

You can actually race "up a class" meaning that if you have a lightweight you can race middleweight, heavyweight, unlimited etc.

Supersport rules are interpreted differently depending on who reads them. They are pretty open if you are used to running Wera IMO; Im not sure how CRA is. Basically you have to run DOT tires (not slicks), have "stock fork tubes" (AK20's are ok), a stock airbox (you can change filter as long as inlet size is same diameter as OEM), stock wheels, stock brake calipers, etc. Theres a lot more to it if you want to start tinkering with stuff. Expert Lightweight Supersport was really small this year; Like only 3 of us entered all year long. The amateur grids were a little better though.

CCS or Motovid always has a practice or trackday the day before the races and is usually $100-150. Some CCS weekends are racing on Sunday only, and other "twin-sprint" weekends have racing Saturday and Sunday.

2012 CCS Rulebook

CCS vs WERA? I havent raced with Wera, but I have heard good things. I want to give them a try sometime when I can afford to travel more.

Thats only a small bag of Popcorn :)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CCS will probably have 4-5 weekends there next year. The CCS midwest region prettymuch only races there, Road America, and Heartland Park.

Wera had one weekend there this last year. We will see what next year brings.

Yes, you can race supertwins. It is not at all like LW though. Its more of an unlimited displacement superbike class but its only restriction is having a twin-cylinder bike.

You can actually race "up a class" meaning that if you have a lightweight you can race middleweight, heavyweight, unlimited etc.

Supersport rules are interpreted differently depending on who reads them. They are pretty open if you are used to running Wera IMO; Im not sure how CRA is. Basically you have to run DOT tires (not slicks), have "stock fork tubes" (AK20's are ok), a stock airbox (you can change filter as long as inlet size is same diameter as OEM), stock wheels, stock brake calipers, etc. Theres a lot more to it if you want to start tinkering with stuff. Expert Lightweight Supersport was really small this year; Like only 3 of us entered all year long. The amateur grids were a little better though.

CCS or Motovid always has a practice or trackday the day before the races and is usually $100-150. Some CCS weekends are racing on Sunday only, and other "twin-sprint" weekends have racing Saturday and Sunday.

2012 CCS Rulebook

CCS vs WERA? I havent raced with Wera, but I have heard good things. I want to give them a try sometime when I can afford to travel more.

Thats only a small bag of Popcorn :)
This is perfect - thanks!

I ask about supertwins because with the CRA at BIR - it's basically another LW race. Maybe once a year an 848 or RC51 will enter it, but otherwise it's generally just the same guys that run LW. Looks like the rules are the same just nobody takes advanage of them.

Thanks on the practice too - was hoping we wouldn't be thrown out with the wolves without some tracktime!

Supersport sounds about the same as ours, looking to bring at least 4 people down who all do SS, so that should help that grid out!

So GSXR forks and wheels put's me SB for both CCS and WERA?
I don't think that's supersport legal in any racing series.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most ppl say that WERA is more of a "production bike" racing series whereas CCS is more of a "tuner" series. The WERA rule book tells you what you can modify and if if they dont say something, its not allowed. The CCS rulebook only tells you what you cannot do, which allows one to modify something if the rulebook doesnt say anything.

I dont know how well WERA enforces their rules, but in CCS, I only would worry about another racer protesting me. The CCS tech is almost a joke at times. More of a saftey inspection than anything.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
So what's the big difference between CCS SS and say WERA SS? I thought CCS was a lot looser in what was SS or not.
WERA enforces almost everything. I've heard of people being DQ'd for having different throttle housings.

The easy difference is in CCS you can run a lot of lightweight equipment. Total loss ignition is legal, LiPo batteries, and AL subframe are legal. Different master cylinders are fine for CCS.

Basically CCS says what you CAN'T do (small list), WERA says what you CAN do (small list)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Apparently it doesn't stop people from oiling the track every other weekend.
Why do you say that?

Every oil down occurence I have witnessed in the past few years was during a trackday/race practice.

The nasty T2 oil down in Aug was on a race practice day and involved about 5 bikes. Im not sure what tech consisted of on that day. In some cases, there have not been any tech for race practice days.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Come and play, on a sv...with other sv racers (ok and the buells maybe) Blackhawk is a lot of fun to ride.

On the subject of wera rules vs ccs ss rules my favorite way to put it is...my ccs SS bike is anyone elses superbike......

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Come and play, on a sv...with other sv racers (ok and the buells maybe) Blackhawk is a lot of fun to ride.

On the subject of wera rules vs ccs ss rules my favorite way to put it is...my ccs SS bike is anyone elses superbike......
That's the goal! Not too worried about rules (we all have stock SV's with the normal suspension upgrades and race bodywork) although it would be nice to run slicks for SS...WERA allows that right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts