Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, I definetly need 2 upgrade the front forks and i'm debating on whether or not 2 go with Racetech or Sonic. And I think this would be easier than than swap out the whole thing 4 a Gixxr front end. Is it just a matter of ordering the springs and just drop them in when I get them or no. . . .??

· Premium Member
8,657 Posts
I would find a thread with a write up, or a link to a manufacturer write up and decide yourself.

E.G. http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/damper_rod_forks_tech_article.php

Front springs and oil is dead simple with some basic tool and Service Manual.

The GSXR swap is not as straightforward, and on the high end will run about $1000 to get everything 100% (quality wise, and functional wise).

· Registered
284 Posts
I went with Sonic Springs and heavier fork oil. Used the preferred "remove the forks" method of installing the springs and oil. Had a friend helping out and it took about 2 hrs (maybe) from start to finish. The hardest part was cutting the spacer (found out I can't cut a straight line) :p It would have been easier with either a table/band/circular/jig saw. I tried it with a handsaw. Other than that, installation was a snap.

Rich (SonicSprings) provides a great product and easy to understand installation instructions.

· Registered
8,679 Posts
Rich Desmond has answered this question many times over. As I recall his answer, both RaceTech and Sonic use hard annealed linear steel springs, made the same way, from the same material, and to the same specifications.

The difference I have found is that Sonics are slightly less expensive. Also, while I have not dealt with RaceTech, I know that Rich is a site supporter, and not just with his advertising dollars. He is there for you if you ever have any questions about your bike -- even if you never buy a thing from him.

· Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
Word of mouth is incredibly more effective than all the advertising dollars you can spend.

Same product.

Do a search on RichDesmond and read his posts and then make your decision.
Like most conclude here, there is no decision to be made.

:thumbsup:

· Registered
8,679 Posts
You can use the spring rate calculator on Sonic's site, but better IMO to go to the source. Email or PM Rich with your weight with gear on, year SV, and type of riding (competition, trackdays, aggressive street, normal street), and he'll tell you exactly what to buy. Also, be sure to let Rich know that I'm due my commission.;D

· Vendor
9,977 Posts
Soooo, I definetly need 2 upgrade the front forks and i'm debating on whether or not 2 go with Racetech or Sonic. And I think this would be easier than than swap out the whole thing 4 a Gixxr front end. Is it just a matter of ordering the springs and just drop them in when I get them or no. . . .??

:) Rich at Sonic Springs is a great guy, give him a call or email him.

Rich will look after you, and your bike will thank you,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.