Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today was a day i took to do some "relaxing" riding with my step-dad(rob), mom and stepdads friend(jim). my ma and rob have a 92 harley bagger, jim has a newer halrey something...(not sporty, fatboy, or bagger) something. which he rode today.

jim was asking a few questions bout my sv, i answeared them the best i could. jim has a fatboy all decked out for draggin and only draggin(runs low 11's i hear...) and so he was curious how fast my bike was. i said runs mid 12's in the quater-mile.

after some riding we get next to each other, and we look at each other and nod... green light, we go.... he has a jump on me(bad start..im not good at fast starts yet) i catch up and pass by end of 1st gear. i won... but from what i could tell he was no more than a bike lengh or two behind me the whole time! fast bike...for a harley.

later on he tells me he spent 15k on the bike, and another 8k on engine and exhaust mods(for his street bike not his drag bike), bunch of screaming eagle parts(103 cubic in...i think) and he was jealous that my 4k bike beat him. i felt special at the end of today. but that was one fast ass harley, being a few hundred lbs heavier than mine!

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
raced a harley today...
After reading your post, I see that there was much more to the story than the thread title suggested, but that title is like calling a thread:
Stepped on an ant today or
Beat up an old blind cripple lady today or
Saw a toddler with nice candy today; so I took it away and ate it :lol:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've often wondered why people think Harley's are fast. Stock 600cc supersports have quarter times in the 10's, and Harley can't come close with twice the displacement. Most tweaked Screamin Eagle engines I've seen have a hard time breaking the 60hp/L mark while the Japaneese/Europeans have no problem getting 150 hp/L for a producton engine, and MotpGP is somewhere around 250hp/L. The V-Rod has potential, but isn't even considered a "real Harley" by the true believers.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Comparing a Harley to a 600 supersport (or an SV for that matter) is comparing apples and oranges.

Different purpose, different ideals, different intent. A supersport is (literally) a race bike with lights. As people are so fond of pointing out - HD's are not race bikes.

Wanna go apples to apples? I've seen a '99 HD Superglide walk away from a '00 Road Star 1600. For reference - both had similar mods (exhaust) - yet the Road Star displaces 150cc's more. The HD murdered the Yamaha.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ruefus said:
Comparing a Harley to a 600 supersport (or an SV for that matter) is comparing apples and oranges.
There are a staggering number of people who firmly believe displacement + loud = fast. A friend of mine has an old Ninja 600 and occasionally rides with the Harley crowd. One of the most common questions he gets is how can a little 600 can keep up?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruefus said:
I've seen a '99 HD Superglide walk away from a '00 Road Star 1600.

:wink: And I've seen Japanese motorcycle engine designers commit, ritual suicide, when they were asked to put pushrods back on their engines.

:p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Oneofeach said:
Ruefus said:
I've seen a '99 HD Superglide walk away from a '00 Road Star 1600.

:wink: And I've seen Japanese motorcycle engine designers commit, ritual suicide, when they were asked to put pushrods back on their engines.

:p

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Then there are a lot of dead Yamaha engineers, considering that the Road Star and new 1834cc 'Liner engines are all single crank, air-cooled, pushrod designs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruefus said:
Oneofeach said:
Ruefus said:
quote]

Then there are a lot of dead Yamaha engineers, considering that the Road Star and new 1834cc 'Liner engines are all single crank, air-cooled, pushrod designs.

Exactly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell me the engieneers weren't jumping on their swords when the marketing dept dropped the plans for the V-Stars, RoadStars, ect.... on their desks.

It probably went like this: Yosi-san, we must compete in the American market with Harley Davidson.
In order to compete you must throw out everything you have learned about building light, smooth running, high reving, hi HP, reliable water cooled engines and look to the past.
We need you to build a pushrod engine that shakes and shudders or we will never sell it to the Americans who want, but can't afford a real Harley.
If it runs too well you must retard the timing even more:

I would rather die then disgrace Baba-san, Knife goes in gutts.

:wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I highschool I thought my 72 Sportster 1000cc was hotshit until I raced my buddy on a similar vintage KZ400... I won but not by a lot.

HD's = slow but they're for looking at, not riding (j/K!) :lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ruefus

Ruefus has the right idea here. We are comparing two different kinds of bikes made for different purposes. I like modern Harleys. They aren't meant to go fast and handle well. They are meant for people who could care less about how fast they get from point A to point B. I like that attitude. So to try and analyze a race between Harley's and modern sportbikes is absurd. People just reap hate on Harley because they sell every bike they make and have higher resale value than any other manufacturer. If motorcycling is about personal expression and freedom then just accept that people like crusisers and specifically Harleys.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Oneofeach said:

They're easily some of THE most sought after metric cruisers out there.

Road Star Warrior, anyone?

Those engines have gained a lot of street cred. Just pick up a copy of V-Twin or any of the custom twins mags. If you don't see at least a couple Road Star-based ground-up choppers, you've missed something.

Those engines look badass with the huge pushrod tube covers and all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i lover the new star warriors! they are actully faster than a sv in the quartyer mile!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruefus said:
Oneofeach said:

They're easily some of THE most sought after metric cruisers out there.

Road Star Warrior, anyone?

Those engines have gained a lot of street cred. Just pick up a copy of V-Twin or any of the custom twins mags. If you don't see at least a couple Road Star-based ground-up choppers, you've missed something.

Those engines look badass with the huge pushrod tube covers and all.

:arrow: And I'm not saying any of the above is untrue :)
I'm just trying to get into the mind of the japanese engineer who designed & built the 1998 Yam R1 engine and was then asked to build a large displacement, low HP, aircooled, pushrod V-Twin motor :wink:

I was even looking into buying a RoadStar Warrior at one time, but could not justify the price for the performance when a Suzuki Hayabusa is more for less.
Thats comparing two different bikes I know, but I'm the buyer that has to be satisfied :lol:
My friend has a RoadStar and loves it.

Jiff84,
I don't hate Harley, I just don't give a ratts azz about them :lol:
I say, God bless the marketing genius behind Harley :lol: But you can't tell me that Harley doesn't market their bikes as fast bikes.
They have a huge aftermarket for go fast add ons for every model they sell.
Just so your Harley can be faster then your neighbors :wink:
How many bikes would Harley sell to 20~45 year olds if their TV comercials said: our bikes aren't really that fast, don't handle all that well, have had questionable reliabillity over the years, but they do get you where you want to go. :lol:
Most every Harley owner I've talked with thinks his bike is fast.
The over 50 crowd is more as you say though.

It's just different strokes for different folks in the end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nuff Said

I think your last line really sums it up. I also think some people confuse the words "quick" and "fast". I consider quick to be acceleration, moving from 0 to 30 in a second or two. Fast is top end speed, high velocity. Harleys are more quick than fast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought the speed channel took care of this when they did an episode of that show Pinks, where a guy with a harley v-rod went up against a suzuki gs(?)
Three times down the strip. First time the suzuki got a bad start and the harley won. Second time the suzuki hooked up and put about 3 bike lengths on the harley. Third time, after some whining by the harley guy, the harley got a 1 bike length head start, and still got beat by the zook.

It was kindof funny to see a guy have to give up his $18,000 motorcycle because it just got beaten by a couple year old, probably only worth 5k jap bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts