Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are todays race tires different then yesturdays. I read an article that said you can't use dot race tires on the road because race tires will only cycle a few times before they harden up. But I know two guys who are running Dunlop sportmax GP d211 for street tires, they say they wear quicker then say the power pures or the Q2, I was looking at getting but have much better traction..

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The better question is why would you want to use them as street tires? They are awful when not properly up to temp.

Keep them on the track and they are happy. At least for Bridgestone and Dunlop the heat cycles are not usually that big of a deal, and actual wear will be what gets you first.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Champer said it right - they are great and short lived when in their happy place - which is a narrow operating temp window.

Any good sport-touring tire is better for street - especially up North where you are, and has more than enough traction for any sane pace.

under what conditions are you suffering lack of grip on the street that you would seek to remedy with race rubber? Maybe there is a suspension or riding technique that might help you more????

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
no reason to use race rubber on street other then you can get a set of take offs cheap.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Don't do it. Wasn't really the answer I was looking for. Yes my Metzler z6's are slipping. No real surprise they have over 10 k on them and one track day. Still about 40% life left. They are hard.

I'm getting more aggressive and have been told by everyone to dump these tires.

So what do I want? I narrowed down to the battelaxe s20's and the power pures. But then these guys were running the 211's so why not look at them too. Is warm up time longer on a race tire if you don't use a tire warmer. Do they get harder in cooler weather?

As I said the q20's. And power pure claim big things. And a few reviews say they are great. But I'm still Window shopping.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
^ what he said

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I very very rarely slip my pilot roads, and they are a sport touring tire. :dontknow: Even when I do slip them, it is my fault for being too heavy on the throttle. This is including plenty of time on the track. I have to agree with others, you will be better off with a quality sport tire over a race tire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks for all the replies, I spoke to a local tire shop who sold them there 211's.. and they told me "A bit of a waste of money if your just doing a few track days and street riding the rest of the time" I asked about the power pure, Q2 and S20. said it all came down to personal preference.. I think I'll try the pure's..
any other thoughts?

Thanks again for all the comments. appreciated

this just came back form dunlop support
Good afternoon ---------,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle Tires.

The D211 GP-A tire is acceptable to ride on the street.
However, it will wear out very fast.

For street riding, Dunlop recommends Sportmax Q2.

Should you need a catalog, additional information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
or e-mail us.

regards.
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found this in another post and since it relates I thought I would repost here

I have ridden other brands on our SV650s and this new D211GP-A tops them all, ”stated Brian Kcraget, lead rider for the TOBC racing team.” At summit, I won the first 2 races with the first version of this tire. Then with the developmental improvements over the last couple of moths, the side grip got even better with the new 2662 compound.”
Price per pair is said to be $315+shipping.

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=48947

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
No body is arguing that they are not a great race tire. We are just saying it is not practical on the street.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Just found this in another post and since it relates I thought I would repost here

I have ridden other brands on our SV650s and this new D211GP-A tops them all, ”stated Brian Kcraget, lead rider for the TOBC racing team.” At summit, I won the first 2 races with the first version of this tire. Then with the developmental improvements over the last couple of moths, the side grip got even better with the new 2662 compound.”
Price per pair is said to be $315+shipping.

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=48947
For racing............................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
374 Posts
A street tire will more than likely have better grip than a race tire on the street for the majority of the time you are on the road. The race tires just take to long to heat up and cool off faster. Add in no thread patterns on the tire to accommodate for rain, dirt, gravel, ect and its a no brainer for the street. I am not a fast track rider, but most say the sport tires such as the q2s and the 2cts are good enough all the way to advanced group. There simply is no way you are riding that fast on the street.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I read an article that said you can't use dot race tires on the road because race tires will only cycle a few times before they harden up.
I don't wanna derail this topic into a heat cycle discussion, but I kinda hope that was an old article because these days heat cycles are becoming a thing of the past.

Anyway...

Street tires are best for the street. Race tires are best for racing. That's why they call them "Street tires" and "Race tires"... cuz that's what they were designed to do.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Any of the modern sport tires will be fine, and give you more grip than you can reasonably use on the street.

+1. I use michelin Power Race's (takeoffs) on my YZF and never have issues with them. Even works fine at 50F. Then again not riding on the street like the track anyways. Hell I dont think I bought a set of new tires for it in 8-9yrs:lmao:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
follow up question
what tire do you like for street track riding.
Power Pure 2CT- Michalin
Q2 sportmax-Dunlop
S20 Battalax-Bridgstone

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
All of them are a great tire, I'm sure there's a handful of reviews on them if you use the googles.

I'd just pick the cheapest of those 3, or pick one I could get from a known vendor to support them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts