Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of race tech emulator off ebay and some new springs as well (.85kg). Being that I got the emulators used, there are no instructions on how to install them. How do I go about doing this. I heard I have to drill out the damping rod. How much? Do I also have to braze something else shut? Can I intsall all this stuff without taking the forks off? I weigh like 170 without gear and do semi-agressiv street riding. What weight oil should I use? How hard is this install overall? I am fairly mechanically inclined. Has anyone had this install done in a shop in the Boston area?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
CMA said:
I just got a set of race tech emulator off ebay and some new springs as well (.85kg). Being that I got the emulators used, there are no instructions on how to install them. How do I go about doing this. I heard I have to drill out the damping rod. How much? Do I also have to braze something else shut? Can I intsall all this stuff without taking the forks off? I weigh like 170 without gear and do semi-agressiv street riding. What weight oil should I use? How hard is this install overall? I am fairly mechanically inclined. Has anyone had this install done in a shop in the Boston area?
Put the springs in, with 20w oil set at a level of 115mm. It's easier to do a good job of flushing the old oil and gunk out and setting the level if you take the forks off. Sell the emulators on E-Bay. Ride. Be happy.   :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
The SVRaceShop enlarges the big holes a different amount than what RaceTech recommends, we don't add the extra set and we close up the small top hole. Lindemann brazes the mid holes and the top hole and opens the bottom set up, Traxx makes their own dampers. There you go four different suspension shops, four different thoughts on how it should be done. Try to prove that any of them are actually wrong. ??? Zoran probably has a different way yet.

Is there a best way? Hard to say. Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
do a search for TWF's instructions... you enlarge the big holes and braze the small ones shut.

You'll need to remove and disassemble the forks. An impact gun is handy to get the damper rod bolts out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help, but how big should i enlarge the holes to? Also should i still be using the 20wt oil with the emulator?

T

·
0 Posts
as long you dont follow race tech instructions you be fine,almost all other ways work :)
I use 11mm holes and 20W maxima oil.

·
Registered
505 Posts
CMA said:
thanks for the help, but how big should i enlarge the holes to? Also should i still be using the 20wt oil with the emulator?
Minimum 3/8" or slightly larger. Zoran's 11mm sounds good. You just want enough flow that the damping rods are not providing any damping so that the emulators can do their job. 20wt oil is good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You might consider 15wt, but it really depends on the brand. I used 20wt Torco when I installed the emulators and damper rods, and still had close to ZERO damping! Then I replaced the Torco oil with BelRay 30wt and the fork was practically locked (overdamped). Replaced again w/ BelRay 20wt and it's still a little overdamped. I'm going to put BelRay 15wt in there when I get around to it...

If you need help I work in New Bedford, and we've got a shop w/ tools:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I got the emulators used they didn't come with the instructions from racetech. So how do they suggest installing them? And why should I not follow their directions?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Dude, did you miss the 9 previous threads? Racetech doesnt know anything about SV suspension. The guys above compete in racing competitions. I have TWFs setup on mine and it is amazing. Just follow them...they know better.

As for install...remove forks from bike. Pull off top cap and drain. Remove spacers and springs. Go to bottom of fork and take off allen bolt. You might have to stick a broom stick down the fork to hold the damper rod. Modify damper rod. Reinstall in reverse. Use 20 wt oil. Cut spacers to correct length for sag.

ac

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use an impact wrench to remove and reinstall the allen bolts. The damper rods have nothing (nothing) to keep them from spinning, and a broom stick alone didn't do the trick for me. Save yourself days of agony and use an impact wrench. Otherwise you may be forced to construct a ridiculous tool like I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts