Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the spring rates that Race tech and Sonic use comparable? I mean, should my ideal spring rate be the same for both brands? For some reason Race tech's calculator says I need .80 kg. springs and sonic's says I need .85 kg or .90 kg. I'm confused.

T

·
0 Posts
The rates should be comperable since it is measuring compression in length with a set amount of weight. What is different is the Sonic Springs are single rate and the Race-Tec's are progressive rate ( Explanation ). The spring rate you order will depend on a lot of factors including weight and riding style. The harder you ride, the higher the spring rate. Same goes for the oil viscosity you use.

In my opinion, Race-Tec's rates are a little high for my riding style, and I used Sonic's calculator and am very happy with the results (Sonic .85 and 20wt oil). Had I been a racer .90 or even .95 springs might have been in order.

·
Registered
498 Posts
it is likely a difference of opinion. I think racetech tends to err on the softer side. Spring rate is largely rider preference and track conditions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
txmedic said:
What is different is the Sonic Springs are single rate and the Race-Tec's are progressive rate
?? I thought racetech produces straight-rate for the SV, at least. Progressive (the company) definitely sells progressive (the rate) springs, though.

T

·
0 Posts
scottyu said:
txmedic said:
What is different is the Sonic Springs are single rate and the Race-Tec's are progressive rate
?? I thought racetech produces straight-rate for the SV, at least. Progressive (the company) definitely sells progressive (the rate) springs, though.
You are probably right. I've owned Progressive springs, but never Race-Tech. I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a progressive wind on the Race-Techs.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Go with Sonic's recommendation.

T

·
0 Posts
Bster13 said:
Where do I order Sonic Springs online? I cannot find a place. To be a Spring rate is a spring rate (when dealing with RT and Sonic Straight Rate Springs) I'd just assume go with the cheaper of the two, no?
Order Here

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sorry I wasn't around to answer earlier, it was a race weekend for us. :D
As others have said, the rate is the same, a 0.90 from R-T is the same as a 0.90 from us. R-T springs, like ours, are straight-rate springs. You're getting different numbers in the calculators because R-T tends to recommend springs a little softer than we do.
As to which to go with, I think we're a tad cheaper. That's not all there is to it though. There's a lot to be said for going with the company that will give you good service and good support. R-T has been around a long time and has a very good reputation. That doesn't happen by accident, they have to have made a lot customers happy over the years. We're a fairly new company and haven't been around long enough to have that kind of track record. We're trying reeeallly hard though to give people absolutely the best service and support we can. We also know the SV extemely well, having owned them since the day they hit the dealerships in '99.
Soooo, the bottom line is that it's your money, spend it with the company that you think is going to give you the best value for every nickel of it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Go with Rich and Sonic Springs. I haven't gotten the springs yet, but I'm already happy with their communication. I have no reason to doubt that their product will be first rate too.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I've got a set of Sonic Springs from Rich. They're also sponsoring the rally this year. The springs are fine quality and the service and support is excellent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's been the general story I've heard. The question wasn't so much whether to get Race Tech or Sonic, but rather which calculator to use. Sounds like Race Tech is a bit conservative and Sonic is giving me a more realistic estimate of what I'd want.

·
Registered
202 Posts
do the R-T springs, and the Sonic Springs (say 0.90) both have the same length ?? (which is distinctly different than stock)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
johnnySV said:
do the R-T springs, and the Sonic Springs (say 0.90) both have the same length ??  (which is distinctly different than stock)
Unless Race-Tech has changed lately we're the same, about 340mm in length.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts