Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Race rails versus frame sliders - thoughts?
I was just about to buy frame sliders, then someone suggests this other thing - I guess they are called race rails?

If race rails are the way to go, any suggestions for what will fit an 05 Sv650 naked?

I'm all for protecting my bike, but I kinda want to stop short of the training wheel effect... if ya know what I mean

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buddy of mine we ride with (only other dude we ride with that has an sv, so when the 4cyls dust us in the straights i have someone to sulk with, then again, laugh with when we dust them in the corners ;D) has a crash cage on his SV and he loves it for 2 reasons:

1) When the bike goes down, absolutely NOTHING touches the ground but the sliders and handlebars

2) He uses them like highway pegs to strecth out when just cruising around, and im jealous

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I dont know how well that would work for racing though...seems like your max lean angle might be minimized by those...and the last thing you want to do at full lean is slam a hardpart into the ground and slingshot you over the handlebars...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Buddy of mine we ride with (only other dude we ride with that has an sv, so when the 4cyls dust us in the straights i have someone to sulk with, then again, laugh with when we dust them in the corners ;D) has a crash cage on his SV and he loves it for 2 reasons:

1) When the bike goes down, absolutely NOTHING touches the ground but the sliders and handlebars

2) He uses them like highway pegs to strecth out when just cruising around, and im jealous
the way this is worded makes it sound like he goes down often... I hope not!

These were suggested to me as a way to keep my purty yellow 05 SV650 looking purty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TwistedThrottle.com used to sell them, But i went back to their site the other day and couldn't seem to track them down... I think 905 (906?) sells a kit for them too but haven't had any luck tracking it down, either.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My buddies crash cage is bought, not sure where he got it but I can certainly ask the next time a hell ride commences.

Hes only been down once, no damage whatsoever thanks to the crash cage, but he likes to show off how well they work by laying his bike on the ground for people :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Let's bolt steel tubing to a cast aluminum frame. Then, lets drop the bike hard right on the steel.

They're not a great idea. OKish for stunting, the slower speed crashes. But there's nothing there to absorb any energy. Just strong steel tubing on a comparatively soft aluminum frame. There's a reason factory race teams use sliders as opposed to steel cages.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Let's bolt steel tubing to a cast aluminum frame. Then, lets drop the bike hard right on the steel.

They're not a great idea. OKish for stunting, the slower speed crashes. But there's nothing there to absorb any energy. Just strong steel tubing on a comparatively soft aluminum frame. There's a reason factory race teams use sliders as opposed to steel cages.
bikes don't drop from sky, they slide, no big impact unless high speed and bikes goes end to end million times. in which case there is nothing that can protect it.
cage is good if designed right, just like good and bad sliders.
teams will not add steel weight to bike and they are not legal most likely. instead they have sliders and case covers which are there to absorb energy and slide on. besides they are not concerned with damage to bodywork, clipons and rearsets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts