Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking about using some VP Streetblaze100 in my bike on the dyno. It's only 100 octane, so I'm not expecting much of an improvement, only the wonderfull smell. So has anyone been using race gas and what improvements, if any, were made. (and if you're looking into buying race gas here is a something from an AMA engine builder, don't use Sunoco. They said they had to tune their a$$e$ off to get power close to VP.) Sorry if you like Sunoco

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
But I'll put this to the test. On the 25th I'm going to get my bike dynoed. I'll buy 5 gallons of streetblaze for $60 and 5 gallons of Sunoco 260 GT, I don't know the price of the Sunoco yet. They are both 100 octane oxygenated gases. I think the VP had a specific gravity of [email protected] degrees and the Sunoco has [email protected] degrees. I can honestly say I'm very anxious to get the results. Its gonna be a long two weeks

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Are you going to map/jet the bike for each gas?? Unless you do the test won't have much meaning, it'll just tell you which fuel suits the current map/jetting best.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be rejetting for each gas. Hopefully I will only have to change the needles and not the mains. And I'll be using Dynojet needles and just regular Mikuni mains. I would have liked to have my 03 intake cams for the test, but I have loaned them out. So i'll pry have to redyno after I get them back. The things I do for science

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are using an oxygenzted fuel and don't change your main jets it will run very lean. The oxygen content allows you to go up at least 2 main sizes. The test won't mean alot if you don't jet properly.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are using an oxygenzted fuel and don't change your main jets it will run very lean. The oxygen content allows you to go up at least 2 main sizes. The test won't mean alot if you don't jet properly.
I'll be the judge of that haha. Its times like these I really wish my bike was fuel injected. But I'll actually be doing three different gasses, all jetted individually (may sound expensive, but I'm good friends with the guy who owns the race shop. Anyone match $25 an hour on the dyno?) So the plan will now be VP, Sunoco, and just 91 from a BP gas station. Maybe it'll turn out race gas is a waste and I can get away using $3 a gallon gas.In my dreams

·
Registered
28 Posts
The BP gas will make more HP than either of the race gases on the dyno. If you want power then buy oxygenated fuel and retard the timing 4 to 5.5 degrees. 1.5 can be achieved by slotting the pick up and another 4 can come from flipping an offset wood drift key backwards.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
when my wawa 92 octane gas failed pre-race tech at loudon, i purchased streetblaze (one of the three approved lrrs fuels). the guy at the vp tent said that in my stock motored sv, i'd be better off running pump gas. for the record; it's awesome that he was honest about it.

i had my best results in years with the streetblaze in the tank, but i think it had more to do with me not living my testicles with the wife that weekend.

it does smell good at least. and the gas can is great for storing gas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Higher octane is only going to have a negative affect on horsepower without making other changes beyond jetting. Any gain would only be a result of oxygenation. I stick to 87 octane pump gas. Good enough to win races and championships.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The BP gas will make more HP than either of the race gases on the dyno. If you want power then buy oxygenated fuel and retard the timing 4 to 5.5 degrees. 1.5 can be achieved by slotting the pick up and another 4 can come from flipping an offset wood drift key backwards.
This person is king of the sv he is right on the money,i mean HP.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The stuff they make us run in AMA is garbage, if you pay enough money you get to be the title sponsor and you get to supply the fuel. While at Daytona, I ran our B bike on winter old pump gas and made 78hp, almost identically setup bike running on the AMA spec Sunoco only made like 72hp. I definitely notice a difference in the crispness and top speed when I ran U-4 in my bike, I had to drop a tooth in the rear not to hit the rev limiter int he kink at VIR, for club racing I definitely feel you get some bang for your buck with oxygenated U-4 fuel.

Z

·
Registered
211 Posts
CCS and WERA races

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if you're going to run good race fuel, run Mr-11. it had a big price drop this year, and makes more power than U4.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What is the price difference? I think at the height of the gas crisis U4.2 was 75 per 5 gallon. Mr-10 used to be 100+

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just saw Arnie Hastings is charging the following at VIR next week:
MR9- $110
MR11- $80
U4.2- $62
C12- $55

How much better is the Mr11? 80 bucks is spendy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
when my wawa 92 octane gas failed pre-race tech at loudon, i purchased streetblaze (one of the three approved lrrs fuels). the guy at the vp tent said that in my stock motored sv, i'd be better off running pump gas. for the record; it's awesome that he was honest about it.

i had my best results in years with the streetblaze in the tank, but i think it had more to do with me not living my testicles with the wife that weekend.

it does smell good at least. and the gas can is great for storing gas.
I've never seen pre-race fuels test at Loudon.

KB

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just saw Arnie Hastings is charging the following at VIR next week:
MR9- $110
MR11- $80
U4.2- $62
C12- $55

How much better is the Mr11? 80 bucks is spendy.
u4.2 is a waste imo. mr-11 makes really good power, almost as much as mr-9.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts