Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a 99-02 compatible race/endurance fairing? I sold the hotbodies because I didn't like pulling them on/off for track days.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I don't know.... BUT

I know Airtech sells really cool R1 bodywork for the FZR600... it has one headlight hole and looks awsome. They might be able to make the same thing up for your SV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're insistent on keeping the stock headlight, why bother with track bodywork at all? Unless you're racing, the extra few MPH you lose due to aerodynamic drag is offset by the convenience of not having to worry about mounting/removing bodywork, as well as having one less expensive item to fix/replace if you go down.

Personally I love taking my naked SV to the track. Makes me stand out a bit from the rest of the riders, when I'm not riding my primary track/race bike.

[Begin blatant photo whoring.]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I somewhat agree with you. However doesn't race bodywork lessen the cost of a mishap. And I'm starting to need the extra speed because I'm running with the Advanced track days groups - getting killed on the straights but passing most on the outside of turns. I've been told to go to lighter clutch plates (Hypo plates I think) and do the 520 chain conversion. The suspension is almost there (race tech fork springs, interior and slidders from a Kaw. ZX6D (compression & preload adjustments) - 01 GSRX 2001 shock) as are the brakes (steel lines with HH pads). I have Jardine 2/3 system and the needles are raised + larger jet. Been running Battlax (Bridgestone) BT014s - thinking of going to Pilot Powers.

What's the next step?? -Getting my race licensing course in Oct. @ Gingerman. how do attach photos??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Steve,

A buddy of mine just started racing out here in AFM, and for whatever reason he has held off on buying full race bodywork. He's out there with nothing but a hacked up bellypan that came from some other bike. "Ugliest SV in AFM" he calls it. And yet, on is SV he is currently pulling laptimes at our local fast track (Thunderhill) that are 4 seconds faster than me on my racebike, a CBR600RR. (Unfortunately that is more a statement on my slowness than anything else, but that's beside the point. :D) So, yes, race bodywork can and does make a difference in top speed, and certainly most serious racers opt for it, but even if you're doing the advanced trackday groups, I wouldn't count it as being an urgent necessity at the moment.

Also, I'd disagree with your comment about bodywork lessening the cost of a mishap. It's not really protecting anything, after all. If you go down, it's one more item subject to damage and costly repair/replacement.

In any case....was it that much trouble to swap out your old bodywork? It shouldn't be. Granted, I can understand it taking an hour or so, but unless you're doing trackdays like once a week, I wouldn't think it should be that much of a hassle. (But then, I have seperate bikes for track/race and street, so what do I know. ;))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts