Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

race bodywork w/ aftermarket clipons

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Tazz 
#1 ·
I am looking for a set of race bodywork that does not require cutting or modifying with the use of woodcraft clipons. Does anyone know if there is any out there?

#4 ·
jarelj said:
Pretty much any "race" bodywork is designed for clip-ons, it's only the stock bodywork that is going to have the higher sides and require cutting.
. . . unless you buy Hotbodies or Cheetah, I've had to trim for aftermarket clip-ons  on both. Even Sharkskins had a problem with this at one point, but they've corrected it and their new bodywork fits fine with clip-ons.

Edit: Hotbodies and Cheetah may have corrected this by now as well. Last year, they still required cutting.

#5 ·
smooth said:
. . . unless you buy Hotbodies or Cheetah, I've had to trim for aftermarket clip-ons  on both. Even Sharkskins had a problem with this at one point, but they've corrected it and their new bodywork fits fine with clip-ons.

Edit: Hotbodies and Cheetah may have corrected this by now as well. Last year, they still required cutting.
Interesting, I've never used hotbodies or Cheetah. I guess now that you mention it I did have to trim a little bit on my first set of SharkSkinz, but I was thinking more of major cutting like you had to do with stock bodywork. It's pretty much a given with race bodywork that you're going to have the dremel out at one point or another! ;)

#7 ·
johnnySV said:
... mounted hot bodies last week and did not exeperiance this issue.
Well there you go. I thought they may have fixed it by now.

jarelj, the cutting I had to do was not too major. I maybe had to cut the sides down an inch or so to clear the clipons. True about the dremel! If nothing else, there's usually a few rough spots and of course, holes to cut out for the frame sliders.

#9 ·
makes a difference if its a 1st gen or 2nd gen bike. On my 2nd gen SV, godfather's required modification. Sharkskinz did not however I did have to slide the clip-on tube through the clamps a little more than I wanted so my thumb would not pinch on the bodywork. Had a 1st gen with Sharkskinz that had zero problems with woodcraft clip-ons.

#10 ·
this is for a second gen sv. I know i will be doing some cutting for frame sliders but what i am trying to avoid is a major dip in the bodywork/frame line... It doesnt really matter too much since i prettymuch know they will be crashed at least once but i want it to look good until then.

#13 ·
smooth said:
That's a slick looking paint job, Tazz. My 1st gen hotbodies didn't fit that well. Say, what race series are you in? I was wondering who lets you run red numbers.
Thank you. It is a rattle can job too ;)

I run at Loudon in LRRS/CCS. I am a Novice and Novices run Red Numbers on White background. When I move to Am I have to switch to Black on Yellow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.