Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start racing next year. I'll need a race bike, as I need something I can crash.

What would be the best bet for a novice racer, looking to do 4-8 races/track weekends a year?

I was looking for an SV, but thinking I might want something cheaper and slower, such as an EX500 or GS500.

Is there anything else that I'm over looking?

Can a track preped bike be had in decent shape for $2000-2500? Or should I find a bike with a salvage title and build it up?
 
G

·
buy sv.other two are junk you want like after riding sv.they are ok but you outgrow them in couple weekends,or start dumping money in it which is like throwing it away.
you can find race ready old generation sv for around $3000(does not need to be perfect) that will get you through season.than you can decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TWF said:
buy sv.other two are junk you want like after riding sv.they are ok but you outgrow them in couple weekends,or start dumping money in it which is like throwing it away.
you can find race ready old generation sv for around $3000(does not need to be perfect) that will get you through season.than you can decide.
Ok. You happen to have links to the rules for the classes that the SV can run in?

My understanding is superbike 550, lightweight twins, and some others that Im forgetting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TWF said:
wsmc?
550 sb and bott midle.also formula twins,650sb.
I'd like to be out there, but I got screwed here at work. Won't be out that way untill next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
We buy race bikes from people getting out or changing to new machines.

Check with us and we'll let you know what we have between now and when you are ready to start riding. The last one was a $3200 2001 fully prepped and ready to go. Needed nothing and we serviced and/or repaired everything before it was sent out, truly ready to ride. Nothing needed to be fixed, replaced or changed as it was sent to it's new owner.

This week we parted a clean title race bike we had offered for $2600 because one one wanted it? We don't like to sit on them because it ties up company money, so it was parted and sold. www.SVRaceShop.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DucOwner said:
This week we parted a clean title race bike we had offered for $2600 because one one wanted it? We don't like to sit on them because it ties up company money, so it was parted and sold. www.SVRaceShop.com
Let me know when you get another one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stranger said:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=54356.0

check that out. shipping should be about $500 with forwardair.com

if you can get it for $2300 total, it should be a pretty good deal as a starting slate. of course to race, you'll be pouring money into it compared to just track days
Too bad it wasn't local. I'd have gone and picked it up today.

Its hard for me to buy a bike sight unseen, from someone I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
Let me know when you get another one of those.
Sorry you'll have to check with us, I don't keep track of who wants what? It gets time consuming.

Best bet is to PM or call Jarel and he can put you on his list of people who are looking for race bikes or specific items he calls them all the time when we get new stuff in, that's one of his jobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
DucOwner said:
Best bet is to PM or call Jarel and he can put you on his list of people who are looking for race bikes or specific items he calls them all the time when we get new stuff in, that's one of his jobs. 
Along with breaking shit. ;D
 
G

·
{PMS}fishy said:
I'd like to be out there, but I got screwed here at work. Won't be out that way untill next year.
you can always go to Loudon when season starts.I have good friend that lives close to you and races up there.
if you want email me and I will get you in touch with him.he can help you getting ball rolling in right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TWF said:
you can always go to Loudon when season starts.I have good friend that lives close to you and races up there.
if you want email me and I will get you in touch with him.he can help you getting ball rolling in right direction.
Yea, thats what I'm planning on doing. LRRS which is a CCS series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
Oh yeah and ruining his clothes... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
I'm looking to start racing next year. I'll need a race bike, as I need something I can crash.

What would be the best bet for a novice racer, looking to do 4-8 races/track weekends a year?

I was looking for an SV, but thinking I might want something cheaper and slower, such as an EX500 or GS500.

Is there anything else that I'm over looking?

Can a track preped bike be had in decent shape for $2000-2500? Or should I find a bike with a salvage title and build it up?

I bought my first track bike 01 sv for 1800. needed bod work and some mechanical work all in all parts and cost cost me like 2500.00

GO SV!!! Handling unreal... entry speed unreal ... exit speed not bad... that and it is the FASTST lightweight category bike (Stock)...



but if ya really wanna go slow get a ex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I've raced both GS500 and SV650.

If you can afford it I'd say go SV650.  In the long run you'll be happier and the bike is better in every way and will hold up longer to the abuse that racing puts on it.

There are only a handful of advantages a GS500 or EX500 gives you as a new novice rider.  Initial buying price, less throttle to get yourself in trouble, and they MAKE you maintain corner speed to be fast.  BUT, both GS and EX require constant maintenance to stay happy and don't have the reliability track record that the SV has.

Second is track days.  A good/great rider on a SV can keep from going crazy at a trackday.  Even a great rider on a GS/EX will go crazy trying to get around all the 600 (and bigger) riders that can't corner for s**t but can whack the throttle open down the straights.  You eventually have to stuff on the brakes into a corner or pass them on the outside of a corner.  Two strategies I don't recommend.   ;D

If you're starting out I'd second the advice given from the others posters.  Buy an already track prepped bike and work on your riding.  Buying a used or salvaged streetbike isn't cheaper once you buy all the track goodies.

If you can only afford $2000 buy a GS500 that's already track prepped.  Race/ride it for a year and be prepared to sell it for a loss and then buy an SV or 600 and make sure your credit cards are empty for the increased tires, track fees, and crash repair.  :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Definitely get an SV for Loudon.  That is where I race.  You can race and be competative in a ton of different classes.   LWGP,  GTL, LWSB,  LWSS, Thunderbike. 

You can also race in the bigger classes MWSS etc,  at Loudon you can run an SV with the big bikes and do respectable (Not many straights  ;D)  A lot of Novices I know run in the HWSS class just to get the track time.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top