Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this discussed a lot (especially recently) so I took the plunge on a used '07 R6 front master cylinder off ebay a couple weeks ago. Scored an ugly one for $70. The bleeder screw is fubar'ed to Im already in a few more bucks for a new one but the existing one works while I wait for it to arrive.

Install was easy, took about 40 minutes from when the FedEx guy dropped off my new Spiegler lines. For anyone looking to do this I went with the two line kit (two lines bleed out easy) with 70 degree fittings at the master cylinder. They accidentally sent me the longer lines for the naked SV but I routed them so they're not too shabby. It bugs me because I'm ocd with that stuff but SportBikeTrackGear had already goofed the order once by sending a set with standard fittings at the top and were nice enough to send me these for free. Oh well.

The mc I got off ebay came with the reservoir and hose but I couldn't re-use the Yamaha hose with the Suzuki reservoir mount. I have a piece of flexi tube on until I get something less kinky ;)

By the way, I got a pair of syringes off Amazon for bleeding hydraulics and they are just awesome. I filled the system from the caliper bleed screws and then bled it out conventionally. No fuss, no muss and I had a hard lever in no time. I love these things, $12 well spent.

Like I said, the brake lines have plenty of slack but I guess I could go with upright bars if I ever wanted to now. Too bad I have zero desire to but that could change.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test ride complete. I would say the biggest advantage as I see it is that this is a much more progressive lever than the Nissin could achieve. Yes it's more powerful but not shockingly so. I find that there is a long action to the pull which may take getting used to. Granted the Nissin was being treated as an on/off switch along with aggressive engine braking and rear brake to set up my corner entry so I think I'm just being more cautious with my approach. Where I used to just slam on to 100% of the Nissin's capabilities I find myself pulling this lever almost as far but I take my time getting there.

So I like it but I'm not done. I have the adjustable lever maxed out as far as it will go from the bar. It's roughly parallel at full 2finger pull.

I think I'll see if I can find a stock R6 lever so I can used the end of it. I used to use levers like these but I prefer the stock ones now. I 2finger clutch and brake but I find myself further outboard than these allow.

I'm also going to get new orings and rebuild this master just so I know it's as good as it can be. I'll do the calipers while I'm at it just to baseline everything. Ideally I would like the hard bite to come in a little higher in the stroke. The power is there and the lever stays hard even after I heat up the fluid, I just want everything out of this asap so I can get adjusted to it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well... I have a bit of a Franken bike. I have a 07 gsxr 750 front forks, 25mm Ohlins carts, 01 gsxr 600 wheel, Brembo MC and 2012 R6 calipers. I'm running 20° lines top and bottom but the routing is horrible and there is a bunch of twist/torque on the left line at the caliper. (Non radial line on radial caliper)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made some improvements. I installed a new bleeder screw (that doesn't leak) and ditched the reservoir until I can get a better mount/line situation figured out. I still can't rebuild the mc as I was sent the wrong rebuild kit. I don't think it needs it honestly, now that I've bled it out again and installed a much better feeling oem looking lever I'm much happier with the overall performance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also scored a barely used ss rear line from a fellow forum member for a very decent price. Threw that on and bled it out while drinking coffee this morning. Haven't test ridden yet but I like it so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts