Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 07 R6"S" forks with a 25mill cartridge in my SV650 race bike, figured you guys might wanna see this.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
head bearings match up??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
head bearings match up??
No the sv triple clamp shaft was pressed out of the base and modified so it could be pressed into a R6 triple. So yes the head bearings match up,along with a spacer between the top clamp and the bearings

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same, my cousin has an 07 r6s, the fork tubes look like 41mm just like the sv but their fully adjustable. Do you think the front wheel would work with the forks and axle?

I might try this swap minus the tripples, If I have to I'll machine them at work and add material around the outside of the clamps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow! I’m impressed with anyone who can figure stuff like this out.

What convinced you to go this route rather than having the SV triples ‘bored out’. Did the SV key cylinder fit into the R6S triple? Am I correct to assume you used the R6S hand controls?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's all well and good but how is the handling>>??
You wouldn't believe me if I told ya. It doesn't handle like a SV anymore,it's a completely different bike. Two out the past three WERA Endurance races it set the fastest LWSB lap time. It stops on a dime and with the 25 mill kit you don't even feel the bumps. I wanted to go with a gixxer front but Mike"Thermosman" Fitzgerald talk me out of that mod. He said the gixxer was to stiff for the SV. So we went with the R6 front end which is 43 mm over the SV's 41mm. There is also a slight flaw with the 03-04 R6 front forks. Yamaha was trying to save weight and the fork tube wall is very thin, which caused the front forks flex and move around. If you do a search you can find pictures of Jamie Hacking with a fork brace on his R6 back in 03 when he won the championship. The Fix for that is to use a 99-02 R6 fork tube, which is considerably thicker than the second generation R6. We keep the stock tubes since we wanted front end to have a little flex. We have two SVs on my Endurance team with this same set up, but it only has a 20 mill kit installed. A side note: Pascal Picote told Thermosman, that the 03-04 r6 had the best front feel than any other bike he ever raced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about doing the same, my cousin has an 07 r6s, the fork tubes look like 41mm just like the sv but their fully adjustable. Do you think the front wheel would work with the forks and axle?

I might try this swap minus the tripples, If I have to I'll machine them at work and add material around the outside of the clamps.
The only thing on the front forks that is SV parts is the shaft. Which was pressed out the SV triple based, machined in a lathe and pressed into the R6 lower triple and the top clamp nut. I found many advantages to using the whole r6 set up. One, the R6 lower triple is made out aluminium(light weight) compared to the steel that is used on the sv. The SV front rim weights 17lbs w/rotor, the R6 is 15.5 lbs w/rotor. Two months ago I had the front rotors sent out and machined off some material . Now the front rim weighs only 13lbs w/rotors. Used that front rim with the modified rotors in the past two races with no problem at all with brakes. I guess this is just a cheap way of having a lighter front wheel with out spending money on magnesium rims.
What convinced you to go this route rather than having the SV triples ‘bored out’. Did the SV key cylinder fit into the R6S triple? Am I correct to assume you used the R6S hand controls?
I have a friend who is a Bridgestone tire engineer who suggested that route and did all the machine work. So he has to get all the credit, I think what I had in mind was destined to fail. Like I said above, to many advantages to list using the complete set up. Plus I didn't wanna make new spacers for the front rim. Not sure on the key cylinder but that's coming off one day for a keyless start.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
:) Excellent work, I did the original, 99 -02 R6 forks and wheel on the SV, with the SV Triples machined 1mm to accept the forks, and wheel spacers to make the R6 front wheel work out,

This is really a step up, Your bike looks great, 1000 Kudos to you,

Congratulations on the super lap times, and Good luck in the Endurance Championship!!!

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is interesting. Could a hybrid be done using just the R6 forks and calipers, for those of us who ride primarily on the street with the occasional track day?

I'm not concerned with the weight differential of one wheel vs. the other or the lower triple being steel vs. aluminum.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) Excellent work, I did the original, 99 -02 R6 forks and wheel on the SV, with the SV Triples machined 1mm to accept the forks, and wheel spacers to make the R6 front wheel work out,

This is really a step up, Your bike looks great, 1000 Kudos to you,

Congratulations on the super lap times, and Good luck in the Endurance Championship!!!

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
I did a search on this board a few months ago looking for a R6 swap and came across your thread. I like what you did to your bike, but I was getting slaughtered by really fast guys on 600 out braking me. I still needed the stopping power, so I went with this set up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
out of curiosity why not just swap out for gsxr forks? Also what is the use for the crazy gas tank box?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hey aaron. see you at jennings.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could a hybrid be done using just the R6 forks and calipers, for those of us who ride primarily on the street with the occasional track day?
That's sv-racing-parts solution. You have your SV triples machined to accept the R6 forks. You can have the SV clip-ons machined as well. sv-racing-parts sells spacers to fill the gap between the R6 forks and the wheel (the space between the forks on the SV is different than the R6). The space where the fender mounts will be off too. I believe you have to make your own brackets. If you ride the street you'll need to relocate the speedometer sensor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
out of curiosity why not just swap out for gsxr forks? Also what is the use for the crazy gas tank box?
One of the best suspension (Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald) guy in the country, told me that the gixxer front end is to stiff for the SV. Under race condition he said the front end needs to flex, having to stiff of a front end will transfer energy from the front of the frame to the rear wheel.The crazy gas box is a Endurance gas tank. Used to compete at one time with some of the top teams who used enlarged fuel tank.
hey aaron. see you at jennings.
Hey I'll see there kris ...Maybe I'll slip on a stock tank and make you work hard for that Suzuki check..;D

·
Registered
457 Posts
is that a cycle specialties racing stick on the tank? (Not to thread jack) but is this a feasible swap for the SV1KN?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hey I'll see there kris ...Maybe I'll slip on a stock tank and make you work hard for that Suzuki check..;D
maybe. :D

funny, last time i raced with you there, and we did that hour and a half stint battling back and forth running 23's and 24's.....come sunday it was really easy to do 20's and 21's. i had blisters on both of my palms about the size of half dollars during that sprint race. that was a tough weekend physically.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is that a cycle specialties racing stick on the tank? (Not to thread jack) but is this a feasible swap for the SV1KN?
Anything is feasible ..Yes that is a Cycle specialties sticker on the tank.. they help us out,quite a bit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts