Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finish my second R1 fork graft. This one went much better than my naked yellow bike conversion. MADE A CUSTOM AXLE. I got the steering lock working (by using the 96-99 GSXR triple clamp), using SV wheel, speedo working, stock fairing clears clipons and lots of adjustment room on the forks to set sag (R1 forks are longer than some of the those GSXR forks used for conversions). CUSTOM AXLE is needed to run the stock SV wheel and speedo sensor. ( The blue SV below is running the SV front wheel, SV speedo sensor and a fabricated axle.)

You can run the R1 axle, and R1 wheel and used magnets and hall effect sensor as the speedo sensor. Doing it this way the swap is 100% bolt on and no fabrication is needed. (see yellow SV for that setup.) The 04-06 R1 front wheel is a 5 spoke rim. It goes very nice with the 6 spoke Honda F3 rear wheel. I even managed to find gold colored R1 calipers.

Do not use current generation R1 forks cause those rotors/calipers are for 320mm rotors. Previous generation R1 forks (98-01) will work. Those are 298mm which are close enough to work.

I only did the 1st generation SV swap. The R1 rotor and the SV rotors are about the same size so swapping wheels is only a matter of making a axle and then spacing the calipers over the SV rotors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude thats nice, but you should have mention first that you had custom axle on it cuz I was about to start looking for R1 front end :D
I think GSXR forks with custom axle would work as good as r1 ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
GSXR forks won't work with SV wheels

I believe the GSXR fork and the R1 forks are made by the same manufacturer (showa is my guess). These forks are 50 mm at the upper triple and 54mm at the lower. Only difference is the length of the fork and the lower clamps for the calipers, fender and axle. The R1 is longer than many of the GSXR forks. The internal vary a little in the valving.

I used the R1 forks cause the R1 calipers line up with the sv rotors. The GSXR rotors are larger so the GSXR calipers will not line up to the SV rotors. To get the GSXR forks to work you need to reweld the caliper mounts to fit a 290mm diameter rotor. It's not recommend to reweld caliper mounts unless your a real good expert welder.

Just checked. The rotors are the same size for 2nd generation SV. The 1999 GSXR750 rotors are 320mm so those forks won't work.
.....................................................................................
Parts List for swap:

-TWF's upper tree bearings for 1st generation. It's the same one they use for the gsxr swap.
-97-99 GSXR750 triple tree (only the TL upper is the same)
-96-01 R1 forks, front axle and brake calipers
-R1 or R6 wheel (07 rotors on the R1 is too large)
-97-06 R1 or R6 rotors (it's cheaper to get a complete wheel rotor set)
-Brake lines are 1/4 turn from the SV lines so if you do not want to
put a twist on the brake lines get R1/R6 brake lines.
-R1 front fender
-GSXR750 Clipon I used the 1999 model. Do not use the R1 clipons as they will not clear the SVS fairing.
-Jim's speedo kit for the R1 (if he makes one I gave him the specs)
-50 mm clipons (I used 2001 GSXR750 clipons)
-for the SVS push down on theupper fairing brackets to add 1/4" more clearance for the clipons
-for the SV you need 50mm clamps to mount the headlight brackets. I used some plastic clips that are used to hold the 96-04 Triumph 995i front fender.
-SV you need to drill down thru the top triple clamp to bolt the gauge bracket on. Used a 1 1/2" length countersink flathead screw. then cover the top with a carbon fiber triple clamp cover.
-CUSTOM FABRICATE an SVR1 axle if you want to run the stock SV wheel and speedo sensor. (see my specs for this)
-the lower triple clamp bearing from the R1 or the SV are the same.
-You can use the SV front master cylinder or an R1's. They are the same. Beware the huge increase in braking power. I use one finger to pull on the brakes.

COST ... I spent $500 for parts and sold my SV parts for $420 (back in 2004).

Edit: Special mounting and spacing. 1) Add an extra nut under the upper triple clamp to get the same spacing as the stock setup. It adds clearance too between the fairing and the clipons/controls. If you have the SVS fairing you need to puch down on the brackets to gain 1/8" more clearance. 2) Add 1 washer on the left side of the wheel to get a better center on the front wheel. 3) add 1 or 2 washer between the calipers and the mount to center the calipers over the rotor better. You need at least 1 washer or the rotors will rub against the calipers. If you are using the SV front wheel you will need the SV wheel spacer and speedo sensor. If your running the R1/R6 wheel you need the R1/R6 wheel spacers. 5) if the steering lock is too tight you may need to shave off 1/16" the steering stop on the lower triple (right stop) to get it to lock easier.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Looks bitchin' (yes, I remember the 80's all too well)

This may become something I'd consider, but how's the ride? Any idea how it stacks up against a stock front end breathed on by Traxxion?

Also - would you be so kind as to run down precisely what components you used? I see a gixxer triple is in there, but I'm not sure if it's the bottom or both. Which clipons are you using to clear the SVS fairing. Was it any work to get the key to work?

Are you happy with the result?

Thanks. Looks VERY cool - and pretty much like it left the factory that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the work

I used the 96-99 GSXR750 triples. The ignition key lined right up just like the stock SV clamp. I think the TLS1000 clamp is the same but no one has come forward with measurements for me.

The clipons are GSXR also and I was told all the USD GSXR clipons were 50mm. GSXR controls and SV controls are the same. So it was no problems getting the controls on. Used a GSXR clutch perch because I liked the adjustment dial better. Used the naked master cylinder cause it leaks less than the SVS cylinder.

Of coarse I used the R1 fender and calipers. The R1 blue is a close match but not perfect. The black look good with the yellow SV.

You can use the SV brake lines but if your lucky you can get calipers with SS lines.

To make the custom axle you need the R1 axle and the SV axle. Then get it machined for about $60-$90. Looking for someone to make these cheaper.

Needed those GSXR conversion bearings from TWF. The R1 and GSXR uses the same bearings for the steering stem.

So if you have the axle and the bearings it take 2 hour to bolt on the frontend.

You must recenter the calipers over the rotors by shimming the calipers with a few 3/8" washers.

A stock R1 is fork is built to handle much more force than what you can thow at a SV suspension. I had a SV fork with .95 springs and emulators. If the spring was too soft on the SV I'd bottom out and it it was .95 it was a bit tough to ride on the rough streets. R1 forks are much more smoother, has greater travel so it's less likely to bottom out so I can run the forks with the stock springs. I ran it on the track and it ran great. I really like the USD suspension much more than the built up SV suspension.

The 1999 GSXR750 forks uses 320mm rotors. So the calipers will not line up with the stock SV wheel.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: the work

JAS4396 said:
I used the 96-99 GSXR750 triples. The ignition key lined right up just like the stock SV clamp. I think the TLS1000 clamp is the same but no one has come forward with measurements for me.
upper triple from TL is same but bottom one is not.TL one is 55mm not 54.those are kayaba forks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
forks

Okay so TLS1000 deffinitely is out then. Zoran what forks are the GSXR and R1 ... showa???

edit: SVR1 frabicated axle spec's:

You need both the SV and R1 axle. On the SV axle you need to cut the bolt head off and weld it to the R1 bolt head. You need the SVR1 axle below and the small thread adapter for the fork to accept the SV threading as the R1 fork threads are too large. Hint... make sure your able to lock in the thread adapter to the fork leg so that is will not rotate out when removing the axle. The problem is that if it spins free your axle will not slide out and you will not be able to remove the axle and wheel. ( I will look for the measurements and post soon).

I cut a slot in this thread adapter so I can hold it in place with a screw driver for easy axle removal. If this spins free while removing the axle the axle will not come out (may bend forks also).

picture of the setup with the SV wheel removed to show the wheel spacer and speedsor positions.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: forks

JAS4396 said:
Okay so TLS1000 deffinitely is out then. Zoran what forks are the GSXR and R1 ... showa???
gsxr's 600/750 are showa.gsxr1000 are kayaba.R1 is kayaba(at least new one is).
funny thing is Yamaha owns biggest name in suspension,Ohlin.

T

·
0 Posts
gsxr 1000 has kayaba forks but triples are same as gsxr 750 which has showa forks.TLR is only suzuki that has different hole in lower triple.

T

·
0 Posts
there is also difference between srad triples and newer triples.difference is in distance between forks.
TL triples have same distance as srad triples.except for 1mm difference in lower triple hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
96-99 GSXR750 forks

Zoran ... What's your favorite GSXR fork to use on a 1st generation SV.

I know racer are not to interested in the stock speedo. But those who are street riders and ocassional track junkies find the speedometer helpful.

Edit:The 96-99 GSXR750 forks are set up with 320mm rotors. GSX750 are set up with 290mm but these are not USD forks.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: 96-99 GSXR750 forks

JAS4396 said:
Zoran ... What's your favorite GSXR fork to use on a 1st generation SV.

What do you think about the 96-99 GSXR750 forks. Just figured out today that thoses calipers/rotors were the same as the SV's (290mm).
I just bought 04 gsxr 600 forks for my sv I am building.
01 or newer gsxr 600/750 is what I like.srad forks are good(except 97 gsxr600).I had those on my sv I sold recenntly.srad rotors are 320mm just like 01-03 rotors.gsxr's with radial calipers(like 04gsxr 600/750 or gsxr1000)have smaller rotors,300mm.
sv100 has 310mm I believe.
pre srad gsxr's have small rotors 290mm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm with Jas, is there a way we can use the GSXR forks utilizing the stock speedo?

Grav.

Ps. What year, if any, and would we need the Zorans bearing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bearings

All the gsxr and R1 converstions need the bearing from TWF.

Only reason to use R1 forks over GSXR750 forks is ... there are 4 or 5 98-01 R1 forks on sale on Ebay and not a single 96-99 GSXR750 fork on sale.

Supply is greater on the R1 forks so they are cheaper and easier to get. Took me 60 days just to find the two 96-99 GSXR 750 triple clamps. Bought 4 lower clamps on ebay and only two of the lower were usable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spacer

There is 9 to 11 mm more space between the forks when using the GSXR750 triple clamps than the stock spacing. Using the R1 triple clamp there is 4 mm more space than the stock spacing.

When I did the Blue SV I mounted the wheel flush to the left side (speedo drive side) and add a 9 mm spacer to the custom axle for the right side.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts