Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I posted about an issue I was having with my battery where it had trouble charging... now while riding I started smelling a weird plastic burning smell... I kept riding since I was almost home I thought it was the air... I got home and under the rear seat it was smoking the back of the r/r is toast.
I looked at replacement connectors and it seems they have the one two pin and one three pin but on my 02 SV650 it only has the joint one with 5 pins... is there anywhere that I can find one or any work around?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
When the R/R goes bad most will replace it with a newer one from a different bike. The technology has improved more than a little since 2002 and you get better regulation of voltage with less waste heat produced.

Going to the FAQ Forum and choosing the "Electrical" option will read to some good walk throughs. Unfortunately most of the linked images were on PhotoBucket and are now dead but searching will help.

Sample link: https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362521&highlight=regulator

I've played with this upgrade, searching eBay, as my R/R is barely in speck. (Might be a YouTube on this to) Good Luck. This is fixable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the R/R goes bad most will replace it with a newer one from a different bike. The technology has improved more than a little since 2002 and you get better regulation of voltage with less waste heat produced.
So would the R/R going bad be eluding to a different issue? Such as the stator or something wrong with the grounding?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-KrKk_YXL4TOVZtTWViU0lSSlE/edit you can check your charging system, thuis is for a yamaha but all the same.sometimes rectifiers fail from getting to hot. some manufacturers put them in the airstream to keep cool
I was actually thinking of putting the rectifier somewhere where it would be able to be air cooled while riding... any suggestions where an ideal spot good be? in the tail doesn't seem ideal... as well my SV has a GXSR tail so mounting points are a little different

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
I was actually thinking of putting the rectifier somewhere where it would be able to be air cooled while riding...
Replace the stock R/R with MOSFET type. MOSFETs run so cool you can mount the unit any place you like, no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replace the stock R/R with MOSFET type. MOSFETs run so cool you can mount the unit any place you like, no problem.
Any recommendations of where I should buy a true MOSFET R/R? An eBay shop or a website that sells them?

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
Any recommendations of where I should buy a true MOSFET R/R? An eBay shop or a website that sells them?
Roadster Cycle is a trusted seller of genuine Shindengen (OEM) R/Rs.

Beware of cheap R/Rs on eBay. Many are knock-off copies of questionable reliability.

Fake vs Genuine R/R.

Roadster Cycle also sells full kits with connectors, fuse, and wire.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roadster Cycle is a trusted seller of genuine Shindengen (OEM) R/R
Although a bit pricey I did end up going that route and buying one off of Roaster Cycle earlier and through his thorough explanation and YouTube videos I can see why he’s trusted. Just waiting for my R/R now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Instead of making a new post on the thread... I thought I’d ask about the two wires that comes out of the stator... I know the 3 yellow ones are the main stator ones but there’s two additional ones. What is the purpose of these what does it do? I can see that it leads up towards the front of the wire harness but I don’t want to keep ripping it up

·
Registered
778 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts