1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have.

Voltage @ battery:
Idle - 13.3V
5K - 12.6V

I was thinking R/R, but I checked my battery for current leakage first--0.6mA. So then I checked the R load on the generator coil leads. I believe the manual specifies 0.2-0.55 Ohms. I have 1-1.2 Ohms depending on which leads I check.

Am I going to have to replace the stator or is it just the R/R, as I hope.

00 SV650
10K miles
sunpro fuel meter (only electrical accy)

·
Registered
536 Posts
It could be either. Try following the fault finding diagram at the Electrosport (formerly Electrex) website.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
wesley63902 said:
Here's what I have.

Voltage @ battery:
Idle - 13.3V
5K - 12.6V

I was thinking R/R, but I checked my battery for current leakage first--0.6mA. So then I checked the R load on the generator coil leads. I believe the manual specifies 0.2-0.55 Ohms. I have 1-1.2 Ohms depending on which leads I check.

Am I going to have to replace the stator or is it just the R/R, as I hope.

00 SV650
10K miles
sunpro fuel meter (only electrical accy)
stators going bad is not a common thing, on the other hand, RRs are destined to failure by design, if it's any more than the RR bad I would be surprised

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the RR goes it can take the stator with it though, you need to check both. Like Lic says, check the voltage across the three alternator wires in pairs, with the connector blocks disconnected. Also with the engine off, check for any continuity between the wires and earth, if there is then it's fried. Usually to test the RR you do resistance tests, check the manual to see what it says. If in doubt you could get a shop to check it for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the bike for a ride and the idle, only recently, seems like it's off. That is the bike seems to be misfiring during idle. Do bikes normally have any other problems associated with bad R/Rs?

·
Registered
272 Posts
From what I've read, it can mess up your battery as well as the stator since its constantly charging/discharging at various voltages - causing your bike can randomly die (probably a combination of not enough voltage and the battery getting drained and jacked around)

Incindentally - I thought I had an R/R problem (and bought a gsrx one off ebay, if anyone needs it its yours for 25 bucks incl shippin) but it turns out that it was just the original battery in my 02 finally kicked the bucket (running great with a new bat) - anyways the bike would have troubles at stop lights if i didn't get the revs up, the turn signals wouldn't click uniformly - headlight would dim, clocks would randomly stop working (they would suddenly drop to zero and then back up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts