Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the Arizona 60 headed eastward from Phoenix to Globe. Located after Superior just before the Queen Creek Tunnel.

As I understand it, because I've hung out with these guys, Deano went over the side after somehow losing control of the bike.

His friends put this up in remembrance.

I didn't know him, but R.I.P to a fellow rider.

[/img]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wow My Grandma used to live in Superior I know exactly where that is. I had an uncle die up the road when a steering Column broke.

RIP Fellow rider.....

G

·
R.I.P. Deano. At the very least the last thing he was doing was something he loved.

60 to Globe was a regular ride for me when I lived in AZ. Beautiful ride through a short tunnel, along side a canyon. Keep going North to the Mogollon Rim - gorgeous. I can see how he lost it out there - some parts of it are definitely not a cakewalk.

·
Registered
629 Posts
At least he was doing something he loved but those last few seconds he probably wished he was doing something else :(.

I went out to AZ last year with my wife for work training and loved it. Wish I had a bike. I did put a lot of miles on the rental car going site seeing and crap like that. Went down the apachee trail (think that is what it was called out east of Phoenix and didn't realize the paved road ended for about 27 miles!! No guardrails on the dirt part in some places but it was cool. Very nice place to ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
RIP to a man who truly lived and died on 2 wheels.

Nice post Vilrog, I can think of worse ways to die. V-if i ever eat on one of our rides, put my helmet out there, you have my permission. I think we should do the globe ride that Todd P noted, sounds like fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really is a beautiful ride.

You're right, Da, we should plan it out. Maybe for sometime in December?

Using Globe as a starting point we could do the Around the World run or a run up to the Salt River Canyon.

I'm sure others would have good input as well.

There's actually a bit more about the memorial. The pic is approximately 1 year old (yes, it took me THAT long to learn how to post a pic-- STOP LAUGHING!!! Make the voices stop laughing at MEEEE!!! Just kidding). A small while afterwards, the handlebars were actually knocked off by a jealous S.O.B who had ridden with the group in the past.

However, I was up in Globe for a birthday party (mine and a couple other folks') this past September. The group he rode with was part of it and that day we did the Around the World run. When we approached the area approximately 30- 40 bikes (mostly cruisers, a V-max, a 'busa, and my SV) all pulled over on that site and rededicated the site and planted down a new set of handlebars.

I'll try to get a pic of the affair as the pic is of the approx. 30- 40 riders (including Deano's cousin- a she-rider) around the bars.

It's good to know people have each others' back like that.

G

·
Vilrog said:
It really is a beautiful ride.

You're right, Da, we should plan it out.  Maybe for sometime in December?

Using Globe as a starting point we could do the around the world run or a run up to the Salt River Canyon.
Hell yes. Stop at Salt River (at the bridge) and stick your feet in the falls. If you take the dirt road east for a ways, along side the river, you will come upon some very cool salt formations - stalactites, pools, hanging crystals.. all made of salt. Very cool.

You SOBs! I miss AZ so damn badly it makes me sick sometimes to think of it. I've never lived anywhere better. TX is a very distant 2nd. I'd move back in a second if there was a decent job for me anywhere but PHX and Tucson.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toddpnewton said:
Hell yes. Stop at Salt River (at the bridge) and stick your feet in the falls. If you take the dirt road east for a ways, along side the river, you will come upon some very cool salt formations - stalactites, pools, hanging crystals.. all made of salt. Very cool.
Exactly.

What about the Prescott area? Payson? Best of luck. Hopefully, you'll have the opportunity to get back out here.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: R.I.P.-- last pic added

Updated pic:

Here's the pic of the group that remembered their bud. I'm somewhere in the back.

[/img]

We should all be so lucky.

·
Registered
296 Posts
toddpnewton said:

You SOBs! I miss AZ so damn badly it makes me sick sometimes to think of it. I've never lived anywhere better. TX is a very distant 2nd. I'd move back in a second if there was a decent job for me anywhere but PHX and Tucson.
I have to get out here and ride, maybe I will stop missing Texas so much.

Thats a very cool picture Vilrog. My remains are going in a MotoGP bike, but I hope that I have enough caring friends to do something like that for me, if thats how I went. I don't think there is a more beautiful spot.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if i have my way there won't be enough left of me to put in any thing. maybe a mop bucket ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts