Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there a ton of tire threads here, but I just have a question about mixing two specific tires. Would it work ok if I were to have a michelin pilot power 180 rear tire and use a Dunlop q2 front? I know the q2 is sticky, but will it affect the bike negatively? It's for street use if it helps. Thanks guys and girls.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I'm no expert but most riders who mix tires usually use a sport tourer in the rear and a sport up front from the same manufacturer. Higher mileage in the rear and more grip up front. I'm not sure about mixing brands of tires even though both tires are sport tires that you mention. If you already own the tires, only one way to find out. Both tires are "sticky", not just the front.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
No...you cannot mix tires like that. You will surely DIE! And...trying to run a 180 on the rear will surely kill you TWICE as dead! Yep. Smoking corpse for sure.

Of course you can mix and match...just be careful when first trying it out and don't be crazy stupid and try to corner 10/10's until you see how they work. The 180 rear is on a bigger wheel, yes? If still the stocker..you might want to rethink that as it'll pinch a bit and the profile won't be optimum. MUCH written here about it. Many WILL say you will die trying that.:) Hah...

·
Registered
300 Posts
That was my comment +1 on the 180 being a bad idea if it not on a rim designed for it. My argument has always been the people who decided what tires should go with what rim are way above our pay grades.

·
Registered
224 Posts
if you are pretty much just commuting i wouldnt worry about it too much. it will feel different from your last as the others have said.. because the shape of tires from different manuf are different. Especially if you are trying to throw a fatty on your stock wheel. just take it easy and get used to it.

assuming this is because you are trying to save a few bucks no? one tire needed replacement and you went with a cheaper new (used?) tire.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 07 GSXR 600 rear 5.5" wheel with Zorans wheel kit and 180 rear tire. I was looking for a front wheel for my front end swap, and I found one with tire already on it, but I wasn't sure on mixing tread patterns. Don't want the front tread to negate the wet characteristics of the pilot power rear.
Thanks everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts