Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which way to reduce freeplay on the lower (down by the countershaft sprocket) adjuster?

Turn in counterclockwise (back it out) to reduce freeplay?

N

·
0 Posts
Turn counterclockwise to tighten the cable. BTW, the adjuster doesn't thread into the case; there's a nut on both ends so you'll have to pull the countershaft cover off to hold it.

:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Turn counterclockwise to tighten the cable. BTW, the adjuster doesn't thread into the case; there's a nut on both ends so you'll have to pull the countershaft cover off to hold it.

This is correct, it's a 2 minute job.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great guys thanks. I'm sitting here at work thinking that I might need a new clutch if the bottom adjuster is out of adjustment (though I'll try a new cable first).

N

·
0 Posts
Any wear in the friction plates is adjusted out by the mechanism behind the countershaft cover, so you can't really tell how much clutch life you have left by how much freeplay there is.

Run it 'til it starts to slip -usually on cold mornings before the engine is up to temp- then swap it out.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Take the cover over the front sprocket off. Loosen the cable adjusters. The cable attaches to a lever arm under the front sprocket cover. Loosen the locknut, leave the wrench on the nut. Use a screwdriver to back off the slotted shaft end about two turns (counterclockwise). This ensures that the shaft is not in contact with the clutch. Now turn the shaft clockwise until you feel some resistance. Back off 1/4 turn. Leave the screwdriver in the slot (to keep it from moving) and tighten the lock nut. Now adjust the cables for 1/2" freeplay at the end of the clutch lever.

Give that a try.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got the bike 35K ago, I was scared to work on it. Now I'm scared to let someone else do it. I've done the clutch adjustment before and it is just as the service manual (and you all) describe. My clutch doesn't slip (nor has it ever...well, except I did fry it a bit once in the mountains after being trailered and I didn't realize that there was no freeplay) and it is adjusted fine currently. I'm going to get a new cable soon as I am at the bitter end of the adjustment for freeplay by the sprocket with a bit left at the bar. I'm hoping not to get to learn how to install a new clutch before next spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts