Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the preferred carb settings (jets, shims, needles, screws, whatever) for a first gen SV650, stock except for an aftermarket (Remus cf) unbaffled exhaust canister?

I know this has been covered ad infinitum, but I'm confused by the information, and I need a quick answer, as I want to get it running right before heading out to the Rally later this week.

Right now, the bike is running kinda lean, with some hesitation and maybe a flat spot or two. AFAIK, the carb settings are stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
140-142.5 main stock pilot, stock shim position, AF screw 2.5 turns, DYNO. Every SV is different and the answer will be different every time. The Dyno will tell you if you have it right.
I think there is a sticky on the TWF forum.
Print this it is a good reference. http://mickk.net/motorcycle/documents/Rejetting_Notes.pdf

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Don't have time or $ right now for a dyno. Just looking for a down and dirty "ballpark" setting.

That reference doc is good and I've saved it for future reference. For now, what I've gathered is I should go up at least one size larger on the main jet (Mikuni 140.0 - 142.5), move the jet needle down one notch, and make sure that the a/f screws are at the factory setting of 2.5 turns out.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Factory settings are not 2.5 turns out. They are closer to 3 turns out. I think if you go up on the main as you posted, increase the pilots if you want to 17.5, raise the needles from stock by one or two washers and start with 2.5 turns out, you might see smoother performance throughout the rev range. Good idea to synch the carbs as well. Of course, knowing that your valve clearances are good is really the first step in tuning, imo. When I first checked my A/F screws from the factory, the rear carb was out 2.75 and the front 3.25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts