Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the oil filter need to be replaced every time you change the oil? I put a new one on last time i changed the oil, and I am going to do a new change at the beginning of this season, should i replace the filter as well?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would say changing the filter every other change is ok, but given this is your first change of the season I would go ahead and change the filter as well. I change my filter on every oil change but you don't have to, I would not go more than two oil changes without changing the filter though.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My thoughts are that, you are already in there changing oil, you got everything out already anyway...why not spend the extra 5 bucks and put a filter on it...

Its not like it adds tons more time to the deal...its worth it to me anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm pinching pennies right now, getting married in the fall... that, and i'm eager to get the bike out.. but i'll probably just get a new oil filter and throw it on.. if it is really cheap, then why not..

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just changed my oil on Friday.. It took me about 20 minutes total, and the filter cost the price of a Big Bacon Classic combo. I know I love Big Bacon Classics as much as the next SVRider, but I like to make sacrifices for my SV as though it's my child. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just changed my oil on Friday.. It took me about 20 minutes total, and the filter cost the price of a Big Bacon Classic combo. I know I love Big Bacon Classics as much as the next SVRider, but I like to make sacrifices for my SV as though it's my child. :)
lol niiice

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Has anyone considered what the MANUAL says??

Suzuki says change the filter at the 3rd oil change, in other words:

Oil and filter
Oil change
Oil change
Oil and filter

But what does Suzuki know?? ;D

why not spend the extra 5 bucks and put a filter on it...
Where are you finding oil filters for $5.00?? Frams at Walmart are $9.00, NAPA filters are $11.44 at my local store and the Suzuki dealership gets $12.50.

So where are the $5.00 filters for an SV?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
i'm pinching pennies right now, getting married in the fall... that, and i'm eager to get the bike out.. but i'll probably just get a new oil filter and throw it on.. if it is really cheap, then why not..

thanks for the help guys
I would oil change and new filter myself.

married
honeymoon
mortgage
kids
family insurance
etc, etc, etc.

Wonder when the SV gets traded for a mini van.

Just kidding, congrats to you and the SO ;D

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I change my oil filter every spring before I start riding again, I don't like using an oil filter that sat all winter long. Other than that, I wouldn't change it during riding season, but I don't put on the type of miles that some of the guys here do either.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Where are you finding oil filters for $5.00?? Frams at Walmart are $9.00, NAPA filters are $11.44 at my local store and the Suzuki dealership gets $12.50.

So where are the $5.00 filters for an SV?
Frams at walmart are worthless filters...terrible, i wouldnt run one on my lawn mower to be honest with ya....

I get mine from a local shop that i am very close with...same place i get EVERYTHING for my bike...tires, chains, lube, oil, filters, accessories...the only thing i dont get there is gear as all they carry is gloves.

I dont know what they charge everyone else, but they only charge me 5+tax for the filter for my bike.

·
Registered
647 Posts
HHm.. I was just looking at my manual this weekend and it said the same thing as what Rock Dodger says - filter every third change.
what i said about the oil every 4000 and filter every 11000 came directly from the suzuki manual for my 06.

AND that is about every 3RD oil change.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts