Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just answered a PM question about how to install Buell signals, so I figured I'd post my response here, too. Took so much work to write, after all... No photos and kind of high level, but hopefully it'll help someone. Others that have done this, feel free to add your experience, info, photos, etc.

The Buell signal change is pretty easy to do, but it isn't just "unplug one, plug in the other." The OEM signals use a special connector to allow easy installation and removal. The Buell ones come with bare wire leads, so you have to choose whether you want to use the connectors that came with the bike, find mating connectors for the Buell leads, or just hardwire them in place. I chose to reuse the OEM connectors, and this involved the following steps:
- remove original turn signal
- cut wires ~2" before connector
- cut bare leads from Buell wires
- strip both sets of wires and crimp/solder together
- install nut *
- install new signals in OEM mounting holes **

* Installing the nut is a bit misleading. The inner diameter of the nut is actually a bit smaller than the connector, so you need to use pliers to run it over the connector a few times to create threads. Its a bit strange, but you should see what I'm saying when you get to that point.

** Installing the signals is a little bit tricky. For the rear ones, you'll find its difficult to get a wrench in place to tighten the nut, since the signals are installed inside the rear fender. You may want to remove the fender first to get in a better position. The front signals on a naked bike should be pretty easy, but on an SVS they're even tougher than the rears. The SVS front signals will require a special mounting bracket that you'll need to make for them. I went to Home Depot and found a strip of steel with predrilled holes, and fortunately the holes pretty much lined up with what I needed (though I needed to enlarge them). Again, you'll get the idea once you see it.

All in all, it is a good mod that really improves the look of 1st Gen bikes since they're so curvy, but it isn't as easy as you'd think. It only takes a few hours of real work, but you'll probably have to make a couple trips to Home Depot to get parts. I'm an "after work" type wrencher, so Home Depot kept closing before I found the next part I needed and it took me a couple of days.

Oh, and the signals are available from any Harley Davidson dealer. I couldn't find them online, but the price of ~$5 each at H-D was pretty much unbeatable, anyhow.

B

·
0 Posts
Could you also post what year/model of Buell the signals are from?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Any year from 99 and up..any model. THey are all the same.

I think I have pics on my WWW button below.

I have had this mod for 4 yeays now and no issues, no blown bulbs and no soccer mom running into me. My old LP short stalks were a different issue.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You do NOT need to cut and solder. Lochart Phillips sells a set of leads that many local shops sell. Plug into the Buells and plug directly into the Suzuki connector. No muss, no fuss.

Plus - when you remove the fairings for maintenance, you can un-clip the signals and remove the fairing without issue.

H

·
0 Posts
Here are some pics. I think the install is much easier than the original poster makes it sound. It usually takes me longer than most of you to complete a mod, and I'd say I did all 4 in less than an hour. I just bought a generic bullet style electrical connector from Menards and it's been fine so far...

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
sorry about the old thread, but i figured we didn't need another buell signal thread for this... mine are on the way and i was browsing the archives looking for install tips, and i saw mention of these LP connectors:

Ruefus said:
You do NOT need to cut and solder. Lochart Phillips sells a set of leads that many local shops sell. Plug into the Buells and plug directly into the Suzuki connector. No muss, no fuss.
having next to zero electrical experience, i thought i'd ask, are these the right leads? i'd love not to have to cut and solder...

http://www.parts411.com/acbasp/stores/1/MARKER-LIGHT-CONNECTORS-SUZ-DF-P56585C6098.aspx

thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Thought I would add (didn't see it posted) that the bulbs that come in the HD blinkers are a different bulb. Mine blinked wrong. So, I took out the orange plastic in the HD blinkers and put in orange bigger bulbs. They are close to the lens. So close that if you leave your blinker on by mistake, you get little melted bubbles in the lens.. ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
arcticcatmatt said:
Thought I would add (didn't see it posted) that the bulbs that come in the HD blinkers are a different bulb. Mine blinked wrong. So, I took out the orange plastic in the HD blinkers and put in orange bigger bulbs. They are close to the lens. So close that if you leave your blinker on by mistake, you get little melted bubbles in the lens.. ask me how I know.
thanks- what does "blinked wrong" mean? i've read that some people experience a fast blink, but i've decided that i'm ok with my blinkers being faster than normal, it should get people's attention better. and, uh, no risk of melted lenses...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts