Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The uppers on a GSXR fork taper to a larger diameter as you go from the top triple to the bottom triple. What is the diameter at the top triple and what is the diameter at the bottom triple?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
zoltan said:
The uppers on a GSXR fork taper to a larger diameter as you go from the top triple to the bottom triple. What is the diameter at the top triple and what is the diameter at the bottom triple?
There are other factors.... what year/model are the forks?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Er, sorry. The specific fork is a SRAD GSXR-750, but I believe any SRAD and newer inverted fork has the same measurements.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh. If their diameters are different, how come you can run 2000+ legs in SRAD triples?

Also, the diameter where the clipon clamps looks like 40-42mm, so how come GSXR clipons are 50mm?

·
Registered
514 Posts
zoltan said:
Huh. If their diameters are different, how come you can run 2000+ legs in SRAD triples?

Also, the diameter where the clipon clamps looks like 40-42mm, so how come GSXR clipons are 50mm?
You can't.

SRAD tripples and SRAD forks.

Post SRAD all the GSXR stuff that is inverted works together.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
{PMS}fishy said:
You can't.

SRAD tripples and SRAD forks.

Post SRAD all the GSXR stuff that is inverted works together.
You can. Northwind is currently running a SRAD wheel, axle, and triples with newer fork legs.

G

·
Bullyson said:
Top is definitely 50mm and bottom I believe is 55mm. I double check that and confirm.

Regards
top is 50mm on all of them but newer gsxr1000 which has step and clipons are 50/49mm.
all bottom triples on gsxr's are 54 except TL with 55.
all gsxr's from 96 to present tubes will slide in to any of same years triples.difference is in offsets and distance between tubes which is reason you dont want to mix generations,even tough you can.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Zoran is correct about the sizes and mixing parts.

50 mm tops since '96 and 54 mm bottoms except the 55 mm TLR (extra diameter added and the taper changed after initial tests showed the forks flexed too much due to the TLR being a pig. TLR forks are very strong.

If you don't know the measurements and fitment issues on the components then stay with the same model stuff throughout on a conversion. When we build a conversion front end we normally only mix stuff that won't hurt anything. We can mix stuff that doesn't fit perfectly but can be adjusted and modified to work safely and correctly (many of you had mixed parts to start with so we helped you solve fitment issues) If you are not comfortable doing this work, don't do it. GSXR1000 stuff although for the most part fits up the same as K series and Showa radial series is significantly different than the 750 and later 600/750 stuff.

How do we know this? we've measured everything. 1000 triples are stronger than 750 triples, they have thicker material around the top clamp surface, they use a stronger steer tube with a larger top nut, the lower triple casting is shaped differently again for strength. SRAD triples are weaker? How can that be? They mearure nearly the same in thickness demensions as the K series 750 triples. Turns out the lower and the upper are cast from a different alloy mix than the later K series clamps.

Can you use SRAD with K series parts? Sure but the disc spacing and brake caliper mount spacing is off a couple millimeters if you use SRAD triples with K series stuff. Minor clearanceing inside the calipers, careful centering of the wheel and they work fine! Can you use an SRAD axle in K series forks to gain the hex head axle, yes but careful centering is required. Can you use 1000 forks with K series 750 everything else? Yes. Can you use big 320 rotors on a radial 1000 front end? Yes we make billet spacers for this, 310 SV 1k rotors? yes same thing.

The main thing to remember is it is not all a simple bolt up unless you get everything from the same series so it all fits together or you are very familiar with what can go with what. Almost nothing from the 05/06 1000 frontend is the same as anything else to date. If you want to go that route you will end up using everything made specifically for that application. Even the radial calipers are different (heavier & stronger), but can be used on any older radial series forks if you remove the inner locating pins.

We also found out the 05/06 DLC is not true pure DLC coated like 03/04 GSXR1000 tubes are. They are a newer PVD/CVD coating much like the commercial industrial C11 coating.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Don't forget to email Jarel and remind him of what an A$$clown he is for telling you what forks you have (wrong)!  For that screw up Kelly & I drank his Christmas present. He's still vacationing and he didn't need that bottle of Capt M anyway.  You could also call him a SFP, he likes that too! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maritan said:
I'm mixing parts - 2002 GSX-R750 forks and calipers. SRAD triples, wheel and axle. What's the procedure for centering the wheel?
It should be fine if you have SRAD triples, axle and wheel. That makes it all line up nice.

G

·
Maritan said:
I'm mixing parts - 2002 GSX-R750 forks and calipers. SRAD triples, wheel and axle. What's the procedure for centering the wheel?

Thanks!
none.if my memory is correct all you need to do is put washer between caliper and mount to center caliper on rotor.

G

·
Maritan said:
Thanks guys!

Zoran - Any recollection of the thickness of the washers?
I believe it was 1/16 or 3/32.you can see easy.push pads back and put caliper where it goes.caliper has split line right in middle,align that line with center of rotor and see what washer fits between caliper and fork.
you dont have to be exact to thous,once you pump up brakes pads will align.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.