Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Max,

You're probably right. I'm sure I will get used to them. The MOST FRUSTRATING THING is that I can never get a chance to get used to them. I've had the bike for three weeks and there has been snow on the ground and sub freezing weather every day since. I know its winter, but this year is unbelieveable. All I'm asking for is 30 degrees and dry roads. I'll bundle up and ride!! If . . .the riser I'm putting on feels too high to me later, I guess I can easily go back to the stock set up.

My brother drives a 78 R100 and with those high bars and big flat seat, that BMW feels like the very definition of comfort! He's been wanting to make it into a cafe racer, but is reluctant to give up his comfortable seat and handlebars (he's 48 as well)!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I got a call from my dealer tonight that the riser came in today and they put it on. I went down to take a look at it (You have to understand that I don't actually ride this bike! I bought it three weeks ago and there has been snow and sub freezing temps ever since. Tonight we're having an ice storm, so who knows when I'll get the bike home again!!)

Anyway, the risers seem great. They don't look funky. They don't look aftermarket. They seem to be made very well. The original cables were able to be used. They did need to piss around a little bit to make sure that the bars didn't hit the tank when turned far to the side. They were indeed able to accoplish that. So . . . they look and feel good sitting in their garage. If the weather ever improves maybe I'll get to try it out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, I've got a good picture of the clamp. I'd be happy to put it on here, but I'm such a computer moron that I'm still learning how to post pictures! I've had some instructions from some other guys on here, but haven't had the time to try it out.

So, if you want to see this set up, drop me an email and I'll reply with the pictures.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
9 Posts
PittsburghSV said:
Mike
Yeah I guess the Seca's bars were fairly low, but I was 19 then and 145 lbs. and now I'm 41 and 190 lbs!! Yes, I did sit on the SVS and the low bars were one of the main reasons that I didn't get it. I also like the little cafe fairing that Suzuki offered better than the S fairing. I know what you mean about the wind taking the weight off of your wrists. It does. Where I felt it though was when going downhill and while in stop and go traffic. I'm sure it's a matter of "getting used to it", but I'm still glad to here you say that the inch up and back will indeed make a big difference! Thanks
I know what you mean about downhill and in traffic -- I was only near-comfortable at high speeds only. My biggest problem, though, was the fact that it was husrting the back of my neck trying to look up ahead while hunched forward. Ouch. It took the fun out of it for me. And I never "got used to it" -- my neck hurt every time, as well as my upper back.
I hope those set-back risers work -- please report here what happens on your first ride.
Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Art,

I got to go for a very short, very cold ride on Saturday. I am very happy to say that the risers made a big difference for me. My seating position is much more "nuetral" now. I'm not sitting straight up, but I am much more upright than before. I suppose many would think this a bad thing, but for this middle aged guy its a good thing! I'm more comfortable and my bike will still go a lot faster than I would ever want to go and I could still corner a lot faster than I would ever want to try! So!!! The only draw back, and it is little, is that when you turn the bars to the far right or left when moving very slowly or even stopped, there isn't very much hand clearance between the grips and the tank. This is no problem at normal riding speed though, because if you turn your bars that far at anything faster than 5 miles per hour, you're going to fall anyway!! Don't hesitate to get these risers if you want higher bars. They feel good and unless you get close and know what to look for you wouldn't even know that a modification had been made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad it's working for you.
Do the cables look stretched when the bars are turned to the leaft or right? Or is the cable fit okay?
When I looked at my 03 last year, the cables didn't have much slack -- maybe each bike is a little different, or the cable routing has varaiations.
If I get another SV650 (an 04 this time), I'll eyeball the cables to make sure the risers will work on it before I buy
Been toying with the idea of getting a 650 V-Strom instead -- it seems to have nice ergos -- I'll hopefully see one at the cycle show this weekend, and see for myself. Also tempted by the Yamaha FZ6, too.
Decision, decisions....
Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Art,

I sat on a Vstrom at a dealership on Saturday. It is without a doubt more comfortable than an SV. No question. It has a very comfortable seat and very comfortable bars. Those bars on the SV would be just fine with me! But it is also a VERY UGLY motorcycle! Its a shame that they had to put such ugly body work on it, otherwise I may have looked that way too. That's just my opinion. To answer you question, the cables did work, but they had to remove a clamp that held them in place in the middle of the fork, just under the headlight. That gave them a little more slack to work with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PittsburghSV said:
Art,

I sat on a Vstrom at a dealership on Saturday. It is without a doubt more comfortable than an SV. No question. It has a very comfortable seat and very comfortable bars. Those bars on the SV would be just fine with me! But it is also a VERY UGLY motorcycle! Its a shame that they had to put such ugly body work on it, otherwise I may have looked that way too. That's just my opinion. To answer you question, the cables did work, but they had to remove a clamp that held them in place in the middle of the fork, just under the headlight. That gave them a little more slack to work with.
Thanks for the info.!
When sitting on it, does it feel much heavier than the SV650? The specs say about 60-lbs. heavier I think -- does it feel like it? And finally, how does the seat height compare to the SV? Higher? Lower? Same?
Thanks
Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, it does feel "bigger", possibly a little "higher" but not much. I wouldn't say the extra weight accounts for much. Its not a heavy bike. It probably is a very practical and versatile bike, but I bet they don't sell many of them. Comfortable and homely would be a good description. I'm not really a vain person, but I do want a bike that looks cool. If it didn't matter at all what the bike looked like I think the Vstrom would be very high on my list.

Here are a few quotes from BIKE magazine on the Vstrom
"Modeling shoots won't be its forte with too large headlights, unfinished black paint scheme, hideous rear guard and swollen bodywork around the headstock region. It won't go off road either despite hinting at such. But try touring or commuting and its well up for it. Comfort is exceptional, with plush and controlled suspension, a shapely seat and turbulence free wind protection. It'll cover more than 200 miles to a tank, the brakes are strong, the v twin sharp and pleasurable, while the chassis is sporty enough with sweet steering.

Hope this helps!! Good luck whatever you get. Test drive them both on the same day if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PittsburghSV said:
Hope this helps!! Good luck whatever you get. Test drive them both on the same day if you can.
That's the problem -- there is NO dealer (except for a HD one) in the MD area that I know of, that will give a test ride on anyhthing these days.
That's the reason for so many questions -- all a person can do around here is sit on the bike, ask questions, and hope it is okay after buying it.
Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Art,

I understand your frustration. The dealer where I bought my bike is the ONLY one around me who allows test drives. Most won't because of insurance reasons. I do understand that, but, if you don't have a friend who owns the type of bike that you want, and if he's not willing to let you ride it, then I guess you're forced to take a big chance and spend thousands of dollars buying a bike that you hope you'll like! Its crazy really. Even though my dealer does allow test drives, I didn't get to test drive the Sv, for two reasons. One, they didn't have a naked version at the time, they had to get me one, and two the two S versions that they had weren't prepped and ready to ride!! I was actually deciding between the SV and a Honda Superhawk and 599. I did test drive the Hondas. So I based my purchase on my first hand experience with the Hondas against what I read about the SV. I don't think car dealers could get away without letting buyers test drive. Maybe you should try putting a posting up here to see if anyone close to you would let you drive their SV and possibly drive a Vstrom if they have one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great discussion, It seems that a SV with a more "trailie" ergonimics like the F650 or Vstrom would be the best of both worlds.
How is the bike with the risers working out? Can you stand to go over rough RR tracks?
Just have 1200 miles on my SV and I love that bike! Been riding since about 82 and this is my entry back into it. I am planning to evolve mine into what feels more comfortable like the BMWs but am still in the planning stage.
Any suggestions as to what bars may fit well? I would love to see that article where a magazine used Vstrom parts.
I know it will cost a bit but not near as much as buying a R1200GS that is tempting me!
This bike is just the perfect size and power to let you roll it on 100% curving onto the freeway!
Thanks for the help and advice
Rick

21 - 33 of 33 Posts