Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a naked 03. I know that the bars on the naked bike give you a more upright riding position than the S, but . . .even they seem a bit low for me. :shock:

I've never had a bike with low bars, I'm not very big, and I'm not very young! Those three things make me wan't higher bars that would probably take away a little in performance but would make riding a lot more comfortable! :D

Can anyone out there recommend a bar that would be raised up, say 2 more inches and possibly back an inch or two? :?:

Do you think there is enough slack in the cables to put on such a bar or will I be looking at possibly putting on new ones?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tons of places to get higher bars.. Your local shop probably has some or could easily get them for you.. If they don't carry a selection of street bars, check out their dirt bike bars...

The key things to check before buying is that the middle of the bar has a long enough straight piece to fit the handlebar clamp on the motorcycle and also that the angle of the bars doesn't let the control pods hit the gas tank when you turn the forks from side to side.... Another consideration with the higher bars if you move them much at all is that you will may need to get longer cables and brake lines... I would think that raising the bars 2+ inches and an inch or so back would require it, but I haven't tried it, so I'm guessing there...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. I had never even thought of dirt bike bars. I am going to stop at the dealer tomorrow, but before I did I thought I'd ask you guys and maybe you'd know of a particular bar that would work well for me.

As for the cables, yeah, I'm afraid on that one. There seems to be enough brake cable and brake fluid cable, but I kinda think the clutch line will need to be replaced. Not much slack there.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Find a Chaparral catalog and look at their "import handlebars". You'll find everyting from clubmans to superbike bars to ape hangers, most of them running in the $15-25 range and available in black or chrome. I've used these before and they're pretty decent quality. And they do list the critical dimensions.

Oddly enough, the only way to look up handlebars on their website is to dig through all 124 of their listings. They don't have a separate category for their import bars, which really stinks if you've got a dial-up connection.

HTH

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll make it easy for ya...

http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html - AZ Motorsports is a SVRider-friendly online store. They have a decent selection of 7/8" BikeMaster handlebars, all which will fit the SV. The link I posted lists each bar and gives the dimensions of each. The "Daytona" bar is similar to the Stock naked SV, the "Nighthawk" and "LTD" offer a higher rise & far more pullback and the "European" offers a slightly higher position than that of the stock SV.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much guys!! I really appreciate the ideas! You've been a big help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pittsburgh, not sure about the '03's, but for the earlier SV naked model, I always thought one of the more viable solutions to higher bars was a set of risers, such as from Gen Mar (had some on my previous Kaw Concours). They move stock bars up and back, retain stock bars and look, BUT I'm pretty sure require new front brake hose, as I expect other options may as well. Let us know what you try...

http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so here's how it ended. I stopped at my local dealer today and told them about my plight. They recommended Gen bar risers. They make one that is especially made for the SV. It will raise my bars up one inch and back one inch. And the best part is that I won't need to change the cables. So I went ahead and ordered them up. I'm 5'8", so I figure the inch up and inch back will basically give me the same reach as a 5'10" or 5'11" would have with the stock bars. Can't wait til they're on the bike!

·
Registered
9 Posts
PittsburghSV said:
Ok, so here's how it ended. I stopped at my local dealer today and told them about my plight. They recommended Gen bar risers. They make one that is especially made for the SV. It will raise my bars up one inch and back one inch. And the best part is that I won't need to change the cables. So I went ahead and ordered them up. I'm 5'8", so I figure the inch up and inch back will basically give me the same reach as a 5'10" or 5'11" would have with the stock bars. Can't wait til they're on the bike!
Please let us know here (or send me a PM) saying whether this Gen Mar riser set-up goes on and works okay without new cables -- if it does, I WILL get a set too. And, tell if this really helps the riding position -- my 2003 made my neck hurt every time I rode it, because of the low bars.
Thanks,
Art

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hehe, reminds me of the guy I bought my CB550F (1975 4-cyl pseudo cafe racer) from. The bike was totally pristine, but he'd put these SUPER-high ape-hanger bars on it. Totally out of character for the bike, and tall enough that the flexibility was very noticeable. Highly amusing. He said he did it for the same reason, height/reach issues, but it seemed to me the reach stayed the same, it just went WAY up and a bit back. Naturally the first thing I did was put the original bar (and brake line) back on, I had to loop the lengthened wiring a couple of times to fit. Then I went a step further and put 400F (lower and narrower between the grips) on it. Recently I saw a Buell in the local WantAds, same thing, WAY high bars, with wording something like "great Harley-powered cruiser". CRUISER?! In the pic the guy was sitting on it with his right foot up and back on the stock Buell semi-rearset peg, sitting bolt-upright, with his arms totally level going to the bars. What a laugh!

Not busting on anybody here, the post just reminded me...
Not like what you're talking about (up an inch/back an inch) is anything like the degree to which these guys went!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Blue03sv650, I will let you know how it works out. I'm the first to admit I know nothing, but the guy I deal with at my local shop told me an inch up and back was a huge variation. I have to admit that it doesn't sound like much to me, but then again, what do I know! They had told me that I would probably have gotten used to the stock bar, but I had my doubts and figured what the hell I wasn't really going to change the look of the bike much.

And DanB, don't worry about busting on me! The guys at the dealership were having a good time ribbing me too with comments like, "Why don't we just get you a lounge chair with some wheels on it to ride around on"!! I can take a joke well!! My problem is that I'm just not used to any type of low bars. If this riser works, then great, but if it doesn't I'll put something higher on it. Because at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. This is my bike. I paid for it and I'll be the one riding it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pittsburgh, just curious, what kind of bikes are you used to?
DanB, damn I hate to see a Honda Super Sport ruined like that! I picked up a '75 400F once that had a freakin 3' sissy bar and luggage rack on it. :x

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SVMike
I've been out of riding for years. In the eighties I had a Nighthawk 550, a Sabre V45, and a Yamaha Seca 650. Last summer I bought an old Sabre like the one I had twenty years ago. I had a good time on it and thought, what the hell, I'll get something new. I liked the Ducati Monster, but was steered towards the Suzuki Sv by tales of Ducati maintenance expenses and the fact that there is a Suzuki dealer 5 miles from my house. The bars on the bike felt just fine in the showroom. I never got to demo the bike. Saturday was my first ride. Loved the bike, but from what I was used to before I felt like I was bent in half! I know that's not true, but from the perspective and background that I was coming from it felt that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In it's day, I would think the Seca had low bars, but probably not compared to anything new :wink:
Did you ever sit on the SV-S? Now THAT'S low :shock: My track bike has Vortex clip-on's (even lower), I'd never dream of riding a bike like that on the street. I really have to hold on to the tank with my knees or my hands go numb.
That 1" with the Gen Mars will matter more than you think. Have you ridden the bike much though? Usually once you get to highway speed the wind will balance out any pressure on your wrists. My Triumph has pretty flat bars and it's actually more comfortable in some ways than my ST1100. I'm 5'9".

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike
Yeah I guess the Seca's bars were fairly low, but I was 19 then and 145 lbs. and now I'm 41 and 190 lbs!! Yes, I did sit on the SVS and the low bars were one of the main reasons that I didn't get it. I also like the little cafe fairing that Suzuki offered better than the S fairing. I know what you mean about the wind taking the weight off of your wrists. It does. Where I felt it though was when going downhill and while in stop and go traffic. I'm sure it's a matter of "getting used to it", but I'm still glad to here you say that the inch up and back will indeed make a big difference! Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, I'm 41 and usually 190, but I got to 210 over the holidays :? :lol:
Check the "Cafe Racer" thread for a link to a pic of my Triumph.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool Triumph! I've always loved Triumphs. I really liked one that I saw at the Cleveland Motorcycle show over the weekend. I think they called it the Bonneville Thruxton. It had that cafe tail piece and really low bars. Its funny really, I love the look of low bars. Just wish I liked the feel!!

And, thanks for making me feel better! I thought 190 was pretty bad! Your making me feel down right skinny!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, the Thruxton is about the only bike I might sell my T'bird Sport for...almost.
Damn, thanks for the love on my weight :oops: :lol:
I'm gonna have to lose about 30 to meet new USAF standards :shock:
I'm going to Qatar for 3 months though, so I have time to work on it with no distractions :(

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the list of bikes that you own I see that You're all over the place in variety. That's neat.
If you get a chance check out
ace-cafe-london.com. Tons of great bikes to look at. :

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bars

FWIW my last bike was a "sit upright" old beemer and therefore the sv bars seemed low. But I think you soon get used to the lower bar height and as you start to appreciate the potential of the SV you want more weight over the front. So much so that I am now looking at slightly lower bars, e.g. SM2s. or hopefully a cheaper alternative. (Suggestions welcome)
BTW I too am an old fart. 48 today!

cheers,
Max

(not Mad Max, although some would beg to differ)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts