Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is completely new to me and I don't know where to start looking for answers, so I thought I'd ask some questions before doing my own research to create a foundation in which I can build upon. As of this moment, I am more of a car guy and own a 2010 370z. The Nissan 370z is a good platform to build upon because it has a ton of aftermarket parts to create the vision I have in mind. I am looking for something similar and heard the SV650 as a ton of parts to build your dream bike. That being said I have a few questions regarding the SV650 and any help is appreciated.

1. What are the major differences between the different models? taking into consideration I may want to change a lot of parts.
2. What year was the best in terms of aesthetics and performance? For example, the 370z Nismo has a different body kit for 2009-2013, 2014 and 2015+
3. What are some things to worry about when purchasing the SV650?
4. What are the top websites for aftermarket modifications?
5. What are insurance rates like on this type of motorcycle? I live in Canada, 24 years old (will be 25 when I purchase the bike) and no tickets. I will be getting my M2 this summer.

I've been itching to get my own bike after riding in Vietnam and Thailand last summer albeit a 125cc semi-automatic but in crazy traffic and rocky terrain.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Modding bikes is not like modding cars. Hard to explain but it's just...different. The car assumptions and thinking aren't really going to carry over.

That said, what's your vision? The SV may or may not be suitable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modding bikes is not like modding cars. Hard to explain but it's just...different. The car assumptions and thinking aren't really going to carry over.

That said, what's your vision? The SV may or may not be suitable.

What I have in mind is a chill cruising type bike for daily driving during the summers. I'll be looking to upgrade the exhaust for primarily sound gains, aesthetics (are there good body kits available?), a good suspension and good brakes. mainly just aesthetic mods as I don't plan on tracking the bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are numerous parts sources, the internet will lead you to most of them. You might start with SV Racing Parts.com

The first gen bikes up to '02 are carburated. Second gen are injected and have a different appearing frame with the S models having a fairing and clip-ons. N or so-called naked models have conventional handlebars and no fairing. Third gen changed the frame again and have a few detail improvements including ABS.

I ride an 2nd gen N model with just a few minor mods. It seems that many owners complain about the suspension and I'm one of 'em. I've changed the rear damper and fork springs and for my rather sedate riding style it's pretty good now. Personally, I see no need to do a thing to the motor, it's a sweet unit that has a great reputation for durability in all gens.

There a great many super knowledgeable members here who have vastly more experience with these bikes than myself. I've learned a ton in just a few months here so rest assured you're in the right place if an SV is in your future.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
What I have in mind is a chill cruising type bike for daily driving during the summers.
Then perhaps a cruiser, instead of standard?
I'll be looking to upgrade the exhaust for primarily sound gains,
Oi vey...
aesthetics (are there good body kits available?)
Not really. There are race fairings that can be adapted for street use, assuming you have some fab skills.
good suspension and good brakes.
Suspension can be improved a lot. Many threads on this forum. Brakes just need better pads and stainless steel lines.
mainly just aesthetic mods as I don't plan on tracking the bike.
Still not sure what look you're going for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are numerous parts sources, the internet will lead you to most of them. You might start with SV Racing Parts.com

The first gen bikes up to '02 are carburated. Second gen are injected and have a different appearing frame with the S models having a fairing and clip-ons. N or so-called naked models have conventional handlebars and no fairing. Third gen changed the frame again and have a few detail improvements including ABS.

I ride an 2nd gen N model with just a few minor mods. It seems that many owners complain about the suspension and I'm one of 'em. I've changed the rear damper and fork springs and for my rather sedate riding style it's pretty good now. Personally, I see no need to do a thing to the motor, it's a sweet unit that has a great reputation for durability in all gens.

There a great many super knowledgeable members here who have vastly more experience with these bikes than myself. I've learned a ton in just a few months here so rest assured you're in the right place if an SV is in your future.

Thank you, this is a lot of what I wanted to know. I don't know what any of that means but this is where my own research is going to take me, however, understanding the suspension is small things like how the suspension works is so important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oi vey...

Not really. There are race fairings that can be adapted for street use, assuming you have some fab skills.

Suspension can be improved a lot. Many threads on this forum. Brakes just need better pads and stainless steel lines.

Oi vey...

I am looking for a sporty bike that's suitable for beginners with an aggressive look. It's hard for me to explain when its not a car but thank you

·
Registered
192 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts