Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get rid of the SV and pick up something else. It's an 03 with around 3400 miles but it's been involved in some motorcycle-on-deer action. The bike is fixed and runs great but there are some scratches (rash on the rear fairing and a couple dents on the tank that are covered with tank bra).

Do dealers typically take bikes that have been wrecked in on trade or should I be looking for a buyer?

What can I expect to get out of it?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Advertise on a track board like WERA ...

You are going to get shite on it from dealers and private sales.
Track people don't care what the bike looks like.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Currently said:
You are going to get s**te on it from dealers and private sales.
Track people don't care what the bike looks like.
Neither do SV owners LOL. There are some seriously thrashed SV as well as some really pretty ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just the type of bike im lookin for needs work and cheap (hopefully Nexus242 :D)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably hard to say without seeing the bike but about how much would it be worth? I'll try and post some pics up of the damage later if it will help.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
A clean title is key. Rashed plastics and dented tanks will lower the value. There is nothing you can do about that, short of replacing the damaged pieces. A dented tank isn't the end of the world - but rashed plastics scream 'THIS BIKE HAS BEEN WRECKED' to prospective buyers.

WERA guys don't even care if its salvage-titled or not. You'll get very little from them. You can often buy race-prepped bikes for what a decent clean-title street bike goes for. Racers don't have money....they spent it on racing.

The easy way out is to trade it in, take what they're willing to give and move on. Don't get caught in the hype of getting top dollar for your trade on a new bike. If they're giving you top dollar for yours - they're getting top dollar for theirs. That's not bad - it's just fair. If I give you a grand more than your bike is worth....I'm keeping a grand on the bike I'm selling to cover that. The only thing that's changed is the accounting.

Or - ride the bloody piss out of the bike until it REALLY isn't worth anything and then get something else.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Get some OEM touch up paint and sand the scratches on the cowl, re-paint and get a dent puller for the tank (if they are not crease type dents) you can fix it cosmetically for under $40 and that will help you in any selling/trading case. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruefus said:
A clean title is key. Rashed plastics and dented tanks will lower the value. There is nothing you can do about that, short of replacing the damaged pieces. A dented tank isn't the end of the world - but rashed plastics scream 'THIS BIKE HAS BEEN WRECKED' to prospective buyers.

WERA guys don't even care if its salvage-titled or not. You'll get very little from them.

I don't think it was given a salvage title. Everything from the time of the wreck is a haze :BangHead: . How do I check?

How much is "very little"? I was thinking of posting it at $3000 obo. I'd really like to get as much as possible so I can put a decent downpayment on a Triumph Scrambler. Nexus242

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Neither do SV owners LOL. There are some seriously thrashed SV as well as some really pretty ones.
LOL!! Agree when I picked up my 1000 there were 2 more identical also for sale through private parties. I should have grabbed all of them. Everything in my area now listed are beat up junk!

·
MOTORADOR
10,820 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't think it was given a salvage title. Everything from the time of the wreck is a haze :BangHead: . How do I check?

How much is "very little"? I was thinking of posting it at $3000 obo. I'd really like to get as much as possible so I can put a decent downpayment on a Triumph Scrambler. Nexus242
Bike isnt getting a salvage title unless your insurance totaled it and they usually take possession of it then (unless you bought it back from them). You can pick up a new (or find a undamaged used one) tail fairing and put it on. Same with the tank. Or take it to a body shop and see if they can pop the dents and refinish it although that would cost more than a new tank usually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.