Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a motorcycle this winter/spring, provided my grades are good this semester. I'll soon be taking the MSF course, so I've started looking into gear to purchase for after the course. Keep in mind I'm a college student, so I'm on somewhat of a budget here. I plan on getting full gear, meaning helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots. I'm a firm believer in ATGATT, and dress for the crash, not for the ride. Might I add I don't ride yet and seeing squids really pisses me off. I am only considering leather for the jacket and pants, I don't trust textiles to hold up if anything were to happen. Here's the gear I've been looking at so far:

Joe Rocket Radar Dark Leather Jacket
Joe Rocket 2.0 Blaster Leather Pants
Bell RS-1 Helmet

Or possibly some Alpinestars gear, just depends on, I hate to say it, money. My question(s) for you guys are

1. Is the Joe Rocket gear I'm considering good gear?
2. Is the Bell RS-1 helmet a good helmet?

The Radar Dark has some polymesh on it in some places, which bothers/troubles me about it's ability to hold up in a crash. Whatever gear I end up going with I'd like for all of it to match, so if I get Joe Rocket, everything with the exception of the helmet and possibly the gloves and boots would be from the same company. I just want to get some input about the Radar Dark jacket and the 2.0 Blaster pants from people who own them, or just a review of Joe Rocket gear in general. I kind of have my mind made up on the jacket and pants, as well as the helmet, but advice from others would be appreciated.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm not sure what grades have to do with money....and while the SV is a great budget bike....gear is the same cost for all bikes. I tend to shy away from Joe Rocket and Icon personally, but some like them. I have a Bell helmet which I like.

Here's what you should figure (provided you only have one temperature range to ride in):

$200-300 for a reasonable jacket

$80-140 for riding pants (to be fair, I don't always wear these, so you could split that and get 2-3 pairs of "Kevlar" jeans)

$100-150 for boots

$30-60 for gloves

Also, if its very cold, or you go on long rides to cold places, you'll want good socks and base layers, something to cover your neck/face, and rain gear of some kind.

Also, a Costco sized box of earplugs.

Take all the money you have left and get the best helmet you can.

What brand/style will fit you best will likely change from now to then...so plan based on a dollar amount, not a specific model.

·
Registered
850 Posts
How do you intend to use the bike? Commuting? Joy rides? Little of both? You'll find some gear better suited for one than the other.

Textile gear generally holds up if you don't buy the really cheap stuff. It's just usually a 1 time use item. Even cheap leather can come apart, though.

I highly recommend saving up money for quality gear, rather than buying cheap stuff now. As you'll probably realize you want better stuff later. Saves money that way. The used market is a good place to find quality gear cheaper too. I'd recommend buying a new helmet though.

Speaking of whch, for leathers I have Kobe Dragon perforated leather pants and jacket I really like. They cost about $400 total new. What size are you? I've been considering getting a custom suit from Spartan and might sell to you for $300 if you want it, and they fit. Jacket is size 40 pants size 32. The jacket is my every day jacket, so its been broken in. The pants look new, as I only wear them on spirited rides. PM me if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
As far as jackets, motorcyclegear.com has the atomic 3.0(i think, not sure how many are left) for like $70. Ive unfortunately tested it in a slide at 35-40 mph and im still usuing it. To me it would be a perfect starter jacket.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Where do you live and what kind of riding do you plan to do? The climate you ride in will have a tremendous impact on the gear you need or will feel comfortable riding in.

I don't ride yet and seeing squids really pisses me off.
While I admire your caution in getting good gear, you don't need to join the angry-reaction-to-everybody-who-doesn't-do-what-I-think-they-should cult. Be a good example, not a naggiing scold.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
The climate you ride in will have a tremendous impact on the gear you need or will feel comfortable riding in.
big +1. i live in FL so i can handle textil year round. colder weather should be dealt with a leather jacket.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
big +1. i live in FL so i can handle textil year round. colder weather should be dealt with a leather jacket.
Textiles can be pretty sturdy. And poorly-constructed leathers (the seams can fail if they're sewn with weak thread or if they're sewn flat so that the frictive force is borne by just one seam, anything less than 1.2mm may not be road-rash resistant, cheap zippers are like cheap seams - unexpected exposure waiting to happen) can leave you vulnerable. And cold weather textiles can be warm and safe. It's hard to come to the gear market blind. But it can be an expensive mistake to rule some stuff in and other stuff out based on preconceptions instead of knowledge.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've actually gotten colder in leather than I have with textile. Something about leather that just saps the heat out of you if you happen to start getting cold.

But anyway, to OP, keep an eye on closeout deals on the bigger sites, you can get some really good discounts. My first jacket I got at like a 70% discount for $80 or so. It worked well, but being from the internet, the fit wasn't all I wanted it to be and I felt like a little kid in a snowsuit when I had the liner in. It was definitely a function over form jacket for me, but it functioned perfectly fine until I could afford a nicer one down the road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll echo the idea that while some leather is more resilient than some textile, it's not a 100% of the time thing. I've tested a joe rocket textile jacket at 40 mph speed, and was very happy with it's performance.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was lucky enough to purchase most of my stuff on eBay. I got top quality Vanson jacks and pants, both leather. I went to a local bike shop and tried on jackets to see what fit and went from there. My advice is to check out eBay, you might get lucky like I did, I only paid a total $300 for both pieces. ? Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Craigslist is also a good place to look if you live in/near a major city.

I bought my Scorpion leather jacket and other gear for half of MSRP.

Usually fit is the major reason its on there, go there and try it on, if it fits, you just scored some good quality gear at a good price.

I.E. Bought A* SP1 gloves for $50 that were brand new, retail for $130ish, just didn't fit the sellers hands

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Don't be closed-minded about textiles.

I've been riding since 1977. When I started riding there were VERY few options as far as riding gear goes. The cheapest crap on the market now is a LOT better than anything avaiable at that time.

I was a firm beleiver in leather for the first 15 years that I rode. Then some decent textile gear started to become available and now I almost never ride in leather. Compared to good textile gear, leather is heavy, it can be mercilessly hot unless it's perforated, then it's useless once the sun goes down. It weighs a fricking ton if it gets wet, and loses all of its value in terms of protecting you from the cold. Then you have to dry it out carefully and spend an hour or two treating it with chemicals to, ironically, keep it from drying out.

My textile gear is waterproof, well ventilated, can be layered to be comfortable from 40 degrees to 100+, and I toss it in the sink and wash it when it gets dirty.

If I was doing track days I'd have a full set of leathers again. But for the kind of riding I do (commuting and recreational), textile gear makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
FIT is most important, in my opinion.

Have I worn and crashed in a Joe Rocket Textile jacket? Yep. Twice, even. Would I ever buy another JR jacket? No. Why? They don't fit me the way my Rev'It jackets do.

I picked up a used one-piece set of leathers along with a jacket. The jacket fits me pretty well (it's actually one size too big, but a sweatshirt or other heavy layer underneath fixes that) but the suit does not. The legs are too baggy and the knee armor moves about. Could I get away with wearing this suit for a track day? Probably, but now that I have leather pants that fit, no way.

TRY ON helmets until you find one that fits properly. Helmets that fit poorly are uncomfortable at best, and unsafe at worst.

Next would be comfort features, in my opinion.

If your jacket is black and not vented, you aren't going to want to wear it when it's 90 out. If your jacket is mesh or really perforated, you aren't going to be very comfortable when it's cool and/or raining.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow, that's a lot more replies than I initially expected. Let's get started here:

What does grades have to do with getting a motorcycle? I think that I can't give myself a luxury kind of item, even though I'm using it for transportation and joy riding, if I am not preforming at a certain standard in college. But this is besides the point.

What kind of riding will I be doing? I will probably just be using it for transportation and spirited weekend riding.

I'll break this down into what I'm thinking regarding all the gear piece by piece.

Helmet:
I had initially considered an Arai Vector 2 helmet, but once I saw the aggressive look of the Bell RS-1, I decided to get that instead, pending a fitment test, of course.

Leather Jacket:
I have been considering only leather mostly because I will be riding in a somewhat varied temperature range, and I just like the look. The Joe Rocket Radar Dark jacket and the Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 are the only two jackets from them I have considered. I like the Sonic 2.0 but it looks to shiny for my liking. The Radar Dark looks good to me, but the combination of leather and poly-mesh is the only downside to it that I see. The Radar Dark has a removable windbreaker which would be good for where I live. I have alos looked at AlpineStars Leather Indy Jacket, and one of their GP jackets, I can't remember which. But the Indy jacket doesn't have a windbreaker, and is 1.1 mm leather. So far I'm leaning towards the Radar Dark, but that is subject to change if I find something better because the poly-mesh really bothers me.

Gloves:
This is short cut, Joe Rocket has at most two pairs of gloves that I like, the Speedmaster 8.0, because of the carbon fiber knuckle's and the wrist protector. I always thought the gloves that covered the wrist looked weird, but after hearing of people shattering their wrist's in a crash, I'd rather be safe than sorry. AlpineStars has a lot of gloves that I could go for, I'd just have to spend some time looking at them.

Pants:
Joe Rocket has the 2.0 Blaster pants, and AlpineStars has a wide selection as well, just have to spend some time looking see what I like.

Boots:
Sidi, AlpineStars, lot's of good stuff, just a matter of finding something I like.

Again, everything depends on going to local motorcycle shops, of which there are many where I live, and trying on different brands to get a good fit. That's probably the only way I could figure out which brand to go with. Spidi may even be a brand to consider.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Whats your budget on gloves? I have a set of a* gp pros for sale. Size medium

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my over all budget is looking like this:

Helmet - $350-400
Jacket - $350-400
Pants - $200-300
Gloves - $50-$150
Boots - $100-200

My budgets are all over the place, I have to focus them in some more, and really shop around to get the best deal. Obviously, I might have to borrow some money from my dad, which I will have to pay him back for during the summer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well my over all budget is looking like this:

Helmet - $350-400
Jacket - $350-400
Pants - $200-300
Gloves - $50-$150
Boots - $100-200

My budgets are all over the place, I have to focus them in some more, and really shop around to get the best deal. Obviously, I might have to borrow some money from my dad, which I will have to pay him back for during the summer.
Thats a pretty healthy wallet...

You can get a good helmet for $120-160 all day....
I have 3 jackets; a leather, mesh, and a textile... $400 TOTAL thanks to clearance sites. (Revzilla, motorcycle-superstore, newenough)
Pants, gloves and boots seem right, but dont think that gauntlet style gloves will save your wrist... I dont even trust the carbon fiber knuckle protectors.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats a pretty healthy wallet...

You can get a good helmet for $120-160 all day....
I have 3 jackets; a leather, mesh, and a textile... $400 TOTAL thanks to clearance sites. (Revzilla, motorcycle-superstore, newenough)
Pants, gloves and boots seem right, but dont think that gauntlet style gloves will save your wrist... I dont even trust the carbon fiber knuckle protectors.
The budget is exaggerated, I'm going to have to borrow a little from my dad, but it's no problem as long as I pay him back.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Don't forget the used riding gear section here.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a cloth tape measure and take some of your basic measurements. Chest, Waist, Inseam, Palms, etc. Go try some stuff on and get a feel for the cuts. Have a look at the size charts by brand.

I find Joe Rocket gear to be broad-shouldered, whereas the Rev'It gear is narrower. Sidi boots are narrower than Alpinestars, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts