Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to make sure I'm cornering properly, since some of what I'm doing goes completely against the MSF and Code's stuff. As I'm approaching a turn I'll usually get my speed set before. If I haven't, I'll start letting off the brake just before my turn in, and taper it off completely a little after it. Until I reach the point where I start straightening out the bike, I'm not rolling on the throttle, but keeping it cracked just enough to keep from engine braking. Once I'm ready to start bringing the bike back up I'll start rolling the throttle back on. I also tend to adjust my line mid corner using the throttle. So...am I doing this right, or am I off base on this one?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
zoltan said:
I just wanted to make sure I'm cornering properly, since some of what I'm doing goes completely against the MSF and Code's stuff. As I'm approaching a turn I'll usually get my speed set before. If I haven't, I'll start letting off the brake just before my turn in, and taper it off completely a little after it. Until I reach the point where I start straightening out the bike, I'm not rolling on the throttle, but keeping it cracked just enough to keep from engine braking. Once I'm ready to start bringing the bike back up I'll start rolling the throttle back on. I also tend to adjust my line mid corner using the throttle. So...am I doing this right, or am I off base on this one?
Uhm...you basically answered your question.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I disagree on some points with Code, but I think he's right on about proper throttle control. The throttle rule shouldn't be broken. Also, I don't trail brake on the street. If I do, it is my sign that I've begun to override my comfort zone and am pushing too hard.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Nothing you're doing is 'wrong' per se. Trail braking on the street is a risk - but many do it.

I only trail brake when I feel it's necessary - as in too hot into a corner.

IMHO - best to separate braking, cornering and throttle as much as possible and blend between them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't trail brake because I'm going in too hot. I usually just engine brake to set my entry speed, but if that's not enough (e.g. a fast turn followed by a slow turn, or a downhill turn) then I'll overlap braking with my turn in to keep the chassis settled. I've never trail braked because I had to.

I know MSF and Code say to roll on throttle throughout the turn, but Sport Riding Techniques says otherwise, and in my own riding I've found it's harder to corner rolling on throttle the whole way because the bike wants to stand up the whole time.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
zoltan-- Keep in mind the purpose(s) of applying throttle throughout the turn: some writers say to keep the throttle cracked consistently throughout the turn to eliminate throttle inputs as a source of error in line while turning. Others state that throttle inputs can be used (gently) to make corrections in lean angle without bar pressure or body movement: ie. additional gas will straighten the bike a little bit, reduction in gas will tighten the turn a bit. Still others state the proper guide for throttle input is in settling suspension (getting weight evenly proportioned rather than front heavy from braking/deceleration).

I'm sure there's more, but the bottom line for all is similar: Smmooooth throttle inputs during the turn are the key.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
yep... trail braking on the street is a bad habit... I know this personally. I got used to trail braking with rear brake in corners on back roads in my area and it helped to tighten my lines sometimes but... when I ventured on new roads that were filled with debris... that habit came back and bit me hard when I locked up the rear brake in a corner and had to stand it up and go off road.

now... I follow the slow in and fast out rule... I slow down with brake before the corner... then before entering corner I make sure I am usually one gear lower than needed usually and just keep steady throttle on until I see I have my line working the apex... then I start to open the throttle more even if before the apex or I will sometime roll off just a slight bit to change the line and back on.

·
Registered
430 Posts
zoltan said:
. Once I'm ready to start bringing the bike back up I'll start rolling the throttle back on
it all sounds pretty good. I usually start rolling on the throttle once I can see the exit. depending on the pace I'm riding that might be not at all or very little though, just keeping a nice smooth as fast mid corner as the straight speed. which is usually faster than the guy trying to trail brake and pin it out that doesn't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
zoltan said:
Sounds good. Be conscience of keeping your weight off your hands, weighting the pegs correctly, and keeping your eyes up and movin'.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For an SV the technique is good. Keep in mind however that different bikes have different characteristics and there for require a different approach. For example, a bike with soft suspension (like an enduro) requires that you stay on the throttle (not just cracked but, slight increasing) to keep the suspension from throwing everthing out of whack. I imagine this is why different books say different things.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KancerKid said:
...trail brake?
Basically it's braking beyond your turn in. This is a diagram from Sport Riding Techniques:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok...so I've never realized that that was what people meant by trail braking...but I've done it quite a bit when I've had riders following me because they're too close and I felt "pushed" into the turns without getting all my braking done beforehand. While it DOES work, being new to riding it also makes me extremely uncomfortable to be doing that. I'm still trying to figure out the cornering that the bikes that are doing the pushing are doing, as they don't seem to brake for the turns the way I would/do....

K

·
0 Posts
zoltan said:
Basically it's braking beyond your turn in. This is a diagram from Sport Riding Techniques:

This diagram is very interesting. However, I'm confused what is the point which is considered "beyond your turn in"? It appears that the turn is initiated at the 50% braking region. Is this the point to which you refer?

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you look the turn is just started at 70%, and yes that's the point of "turn in" where trail braking begins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts