Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to buy a used SV650S , the motorcycle I am considering is an 05' SV 650S

As you can see, it has the exhaust moved up, silver swingarm and frame, racing stripes, integrated turn signals.

Does the SV 650S come with a lower full fairing ? or is this aftermarket ?
Also I noted that 05 models had black swingarms and frame, how is this silver ?

Apologies, if these are noob questions, this is the first time Im buying a used bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The owner said it was an 05, said the swingarm as stock but painted.
These discrepancies make me a bit wary.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I'll check it out myself when I go look at it.

Also, what do you guys think would be a fair price for a
2006 SV 650 naked with 1700 miles in very good condition, two brothers exhaust.

I checked KBB, Nada and it was 32-3400 , but will it be same for such low miles ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to buy a used SV650S , the motorcycle I am considering is an 05' SV 650S

As you can see, it has the exhaust moved up, silver swingarm and frame, racing stripes, integrated turn signals.

Does the SV 650S come with a lower full fairing ? or is this aftermarket ?
Also I noted that 05 models had black swingarms and frame, how is this silver ?

Apologies, if these are noob questions, this is the first time Im buying a used bike.

Thanks
As mentioned already, it's probably an 04', the owner is just confused. Ask him to confirm what it says on his pink slip.

That is the factory option lower fairing, the bike looks clean from the photos.

I would still have the owner meet you at your local Suzuki or trusted independent bike shop and have them inspect it. Most bikes will have some little issue or some sort of maintenance need, such as needing chain, sprocket, tires, valve job, etc.

At best, you can use this as leverage during the negotiation process to take some money off, or at the worst, you will find a major issue and pass on the bike.

It will cost you probably about $70 - $100 for the inspection, but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With only 1700 miles I would check the chain. You may also need to replace some fluids since it has hardly been ridden in 7-8 years. How is the battery? Check brake lines for bubbles. Tires probably need to go also since its such old rubber just sitting (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Low mileage is great to a certain extent as long as the owner still does maintenance. Otherwise you are going to have to check some things if it has just been sitting. If you are doing all the labor yourself then its not that big of a deal but if you are paying for labor you may need to consider these things.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
With only 1700 miles I would check the chain. You may also need to replace some fluids since it has hardly been ridden in 7-8 years. How is the battery? Check brake lines for bubbles. Tires probably need to go also since its such old rubber just sitting (correct me if I'm wrong here)

Low mileage is great to a certain extent as long as the owner still does maintenance. Otherwise you are going to have to check some things if it has just been sitting. If you are doing all the labor yourself then its not that big of a deal but if you are paying for labor you may need to consider these things.
sport tires have a 2 year shelf-life. brake fluid is probably the color of engine oil. every rubber seal probably needs replaced as well.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Make sure you match the vin on the bike with the vin on the title. Also the 10th digit of the vin will be the model year. I'm guessing for this bike it will be a 4 b.c of the silver frame, swingarm and wheels. Most people convert silver frames to black, not the other way around.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Guys, thanks for your earlier replies.
I am finally going to check out the 06 one with 1.6k miles. It looks as good as new from the photos. We sort of decided on the price as 3.6k , as the bike is in another county.

The owner says that the tags expired in 09. But she rides it a bit around the neighborhood. She got the oil changed 6 months back.

My only concern now is about the condition of the bike cause even though she would have rode it a few times, it could still have been standing for a long time.

I'll try to take a mechanic along but in case I don't get anyone, how do I self check the condition of the rubber, tires, engine. I will ride it back home about 100 miles on the same day.

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'll try to take a mechanic along but in case I don't get anyone, how do I self check the condition of the rubber, tires, engine. I will ride it back home about 100 miles on the same day.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If that is a question, run it in neutral to check engine cooling.
it should start right away, any starting issues may have to do with sitting battery.
check tires for cracking or flat spots. also rubber shouldnt look grayish/dry.
look under tank/ fairings for pitting or rust.
also under tank poke/grab hoses they should be malleable i.e. not dry or cracking.
plus all the normal stuff, weird noises, knocking from engine, etc.
also motorcycle tires should have dates on them, my mechanic friend doesnt trust any tire over a year old,*but thats slightly anal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts