Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I originally wanted to get a second gen because fuel injection is awesome, but I realized I can't afford one while in school so.... now I'm looking at getting a first gen. Same bike but with carbs for the most part, right? What are the differences among years for the first gen models? Which year is best? I'm looking to spend about $2000-2300. Thanks guys

Jeff

·
Registered
221 Posts
i've heard ppl tell me to stay away from '03's because they have a longer tail, and most mods maade for the 03 are not interchangable with other 2nd gens.

Thats all i know.

oh.... and carburaters are old technology.....

·
Registered
644 Posts
i've heard ppl tell me to stay away from '03's because they have a longer tail, and most mods maade for the 03 are not interchangable with other 2nd gens.
Thats all i know.
oh.... and carburaters are old technology.....
That's right!!

about 1st gen Vs 2nd Gen you can look it up in the reviews...

can't recall where i read that review that says that 1st Gens' frame was something so innovative that some companys that took the bike and tried to upgrade it , didn't mess with its geometry, it was the IDEAL setup!

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Gen 1: Is good bike, carbureted

Gen 2: Is good bike, fuel injected

That's basically the difference in a nut shell. The gen 2 also has slightly hotter camshaft profiles, so a tad more power. Also, the newer models come with an additional oil cooler. Not sure if that oil cooler is even needed as the gen 1s's have no problems with over heating or anything like that.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
+1 to what solidONE said. It's basically 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Mainly it comes down to cosmetics--which is prettier to you? The fuel mapping on the 2nd gen's injection system isn't advanced enough to make it come out very far ahead.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My 1st. gen Has NEVER broken down since i bought it new over 70,000mi. ago,
soo yea, get what you can afford.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1st gens are more distinctive and unique in my opinion. Yes FI is a nice feature, but the carbs work very well too and if the bike is taken care of properly, they should give reliable performance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as styling goes I guess I'm a little partial to the 2nd gen but the 1st gen is beautiful too, especially with some tasteful mods.

Right now I don't think I can afford a 2nd gen though (unless I find a killer deal) so I'm looking for a nice 1st gen with low miles. I wouldn't mind finding a damaged one as long as the frame and forks and motor were ok, I'm planning on customizing it anyway.

I guess my main question is whether there were differences or changes between the 1st gen models, 99-02? Were there any options added, some years better than others?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
So are internal combustion engines, pneumatic tires, bearings, and everything else on the bike. FI has been around for more than 40 years. You'd think that by now somebody would have come up with something better...

:rolleyes:
Give him a round of applause... so superior, you are!

FYI They have come up with a better form of fueling than standard multi-port fuel injection. It's called Direct Injection...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I guess my main question is whether there were differences or changes between the 1st gen models, 99-02? Were there any options added, some years better than others?

I know my 99 didn't have the screws on the top of the forks... I don't know when the adjusters made the appearance on the 1st gen.. I think it was 2001 or 2002 but have no idea...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Only signifanct difference in 1st gen models is that 99-01 have non-adjustable forks, and the 02 has preload adjusters. Other than that, very minor changes (water pump and clutch) and colors differ.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, and the preload adjusters don't do anything you can't do easily enough anyway, I always think they were just added so Suzuki could say look! adjustable suspension!

The earlier models had some fun engine recall modifications, and there's various other trivial changes, different wiring connectors on some late 2002 bikes, slightly different fork lowers in 2001 and 2002. Nothing that actually matters, really.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
i was thinking about getting rid of my 2002 and buying a 2nd gen, but i don't know that the cost is worth it. I mean i already have one! I am just going to make my 1st gen better....
go with the first gen, you won't be disappointed, unless the carbs are all screwed up. but even then I hear they are simple enough to work on yourself.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Get a 2002, last year of the 1st Gens, pre load adjusters in the forks, silver engine paint and they come in yellow too!!!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
You can add the preload adjusters to an older bike, if you want, and they tend to be cheaper. Not that there's any point in doing so since it's easy enough to set preload with a hacksaw and some PVC pipe.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I like the dark engine and wheels of the 00 models.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts