Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on ebay looking for signals..... I see some are labeled as signals and others are called "marker" lights. I sent an email to one seller, he replied "Listed item are marker lights. You may wire them as signals, but they are primarily used as marker lights."

They look like signals... then what the heck is a marker light?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
They are interchangable. I beleive they call them marker lights cause they are not DOT approved, therefore illegal to use as blinkers. But all the cool kids use marker lights as turn signals. Hell, companies make marker lights that really are turn signals but call them marker lights to avoid the whole DOT thing.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Marker lights could also be called running lights. They stay lit at all times. Some bikes come with their turnsignals wired as running lights as well - so they stay low lit all the time and flash when necessary.

'Marker lights' can be used as turnsignals. Not DOT approved. A lot of time though - this is valid. They don't put out the sort of candlepower to be effective.

LP's Flushmount V's are a prime example. Small - light - cheap - but crappy for true signal use.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Marker lights are lights that are on all the time. Like the two small bulbs on either side of the second gen's headlights. They aren't set up to blink. EvilB is probably right about them calling them marker lights to avoid legal crap. But still, be sure what you're getting before you buy.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i think it depends on the number of wires, marker lights have three wires and signal lights have 2, 2 of the wires are for the blinker and the third is for marker light function, mostly ignored

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
enrico vespa said:
Thanks all, def need something that is bright.
You'd do better to try to find some DOT approved signals. K&S makes DOT approved aftermarket signals in a LOT of different styles...but I could find VERY few online places that sold them. Basically, what I wanted was short stalk, square-ish shape, and clear lenses. I found this place that sells a few different styles:
http://www.peakmoto.com/category.html?UCIDs=1219409

these are the ones I bought:
http://www.peakmoto.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1077081|1219409&PRID=1506746

peakmoto.com also has that style in black/amber lens, and fake carbon/clear lens.

a little more expensive, but very bright, DOT approved, and look great on my 2nd gen.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Some of the nicer and more visible flushmount turnsignals are items purchased as clearance lights in the Truck section of almost any discount automotive store, seen some clear lens with amber leds too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts