Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 sv650. I got it new last year late April. The bike has 7200mi on it and almost near it's 7500 service. On the manual it said that oil and spark plugs need to be changed. The manual also said that it's either 7500mi or 2 years before spark plugs is needed. Do you guys follow the mileage or the year before replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I go by whichever comes sooner, just like oil. It's only a couple of bucks and not that difficult to replace.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
your starter will thank you for fresh plugs

·
Registered
66 Posts
i bought mine last april andi can tell you after 8000 miles i need new plugs. the engine doesnt seem to be as peppy beforehand.

any reccomendations on plugs? i dont trust to ask my local dealership. or is the owners manuals reccomendations the best?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
i use ngk cr8e every 5k or so. so-called performance plugs aren't going to do anything for you, except i hear iridium lasts longer.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I replaced my stock plugs at 10K with the CR8EIX. A little less than $20 every 10K is fine with me. I couldn't tell a difference from stock to the iridium's, not in mileage or throttle response. I will buy the the better plugs next time also. It's not like I am buying 6 or 8 plugs. It's just 2!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
740 Posts
You won't directly damage anything by letter them go longer, so if it's starting quickly and running fine it's not a big deal; it's not crucial like changing the oil. The "your starter with thank you" holds a lot of truth, though. If you have to ask, then likely the idea of leaving them makes you uneasy, so the peace of mind of changing them is probably well worth the price in your case.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my 1st gen SVS, do I need to remove the whole front fairing to get to the spark plug? I couldn't figure out how to get to the plug, and the manual makes it look like I need to remove the front fairing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On my 1st gen SVS, do I need to remove the whole front fairing to get to the spark plug? I couldn't figure out how to get to the plug, and the manual makes it look like I need to remove the front fairing.
No, just remove the horn, the lower radiator mount, and the thermal switch. Then pull the radiator forward. Use a wood block (3" thick?) to hold the radiator forward and remove the plug. Its a tight fit, but it can be done. Don't be afraid to stretch the radiator hoses. They have quite a bit of give to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts