Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this '07 SVS for sale on CL for $3200. I called and he said he priced it low because it has a salvage title and he hasn't done any of the work yet. It has a cracked faring and signal. He said he "doesn't know why they put a salvage title with so little damage but the they did". And that I just need to fix it, show the receipts, get it inspected and they'll give me a clean title.

Is this legit? I dropped my SV and they didn't do this. They just sold me the parts and I fixed it - no salvage title.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/1053418672.html

Thoughts? Should I buy this bike? What are the risks?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it only needs a fairing replaced and a signal then WHY wouldn't he just replace those parts, get it inspected himself and sell it as a clean title?

He would get more money and it would be easier to sell.

I think he is trying to hide something.

·
Registered
601 Posts
This response takes into consideration the vehicle being titled in GA, but I know you're in NYC so check with your Tag/Title office.
We wants way too much for a salvage title. A salvage title is only worth 10% of the blue value and the bike loses 10% of overall value once the title is clean again (The title will be reinstated as "Rebuilt" on the title itself). So if this is the first time its been salvage then it'll only be worth 90% of blue book when the title is clean again. Inform him of that but if he doesnt want to deal then move on. Period. (Keep in mind all of this info is available via VIN lookup services which insurance companies have access to and if you make a claim on a previously salvaged bike they will be more inclined to total it again and the insurance company will NOT use K-Y.)

Intentionally or unintentionally, DO NOT BE HIS SUCKER!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally, I avoid salvage titles no matter what. There are to many opportunities for pita things to come up.
Just my .02 cents.

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I was under the impression that a Salvage bike is worth 50% of one with a good title.

Keep in mind that to find if the frame is tweak it will cost you about $600.00

Now, you are never going to get a clean title. You have to pay about $50.00 for a class 3 inspection. (Check your state laws) You may be able to get a salvage tittle for the salvage bike and ride it.

Also, there is no insurance discount for salvage bikes. And you crash the bike, you will only get 25% to 33% of the blue book value, minus your deductible. You may not be able to buy the bike back from the insurance, and you may not be able to rebuilt it again. And, do not claim single bike accidents. Just fixt it your self... I would only buy liability insurance!!!

Luis

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have owned, sold and bought bikes with salvage titles and am trying to buy another.

salvage title typically means that the insurance copy totalled the bike becasue the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of the bike.

now - that is not all bad when you dig into it. a frame that has a scuff because of the wreck- is considered totalled because the cost to repair that frame or replace it is so labor intensive and expensive that insurance companies total them. In this scenario, there are usually other small things wrong as well scuffs here and there and it simply doesn't add up to repair the damage, but that doesn't mean the bike is in bad shape, in some cases it may not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I am currently looking at a 2006 gsxr 1000 that went end over end. while the plastic and suframe are destroyed I think I can put the bike together fairly easily and ride it on the street for a few years and sell a few of my other bikes in the process.

If I were me looking at the bike you describe. I would be very leary. bikes do not get totalled for cracked fairings unless there is other damage (cosmetic or otherwise) and since this guy didn't say that I wouldn't trust him - he should and most likely DOES know exactly why the bike was totalled if he was the owner at the time it was totalled.

unless you know what you're doing in repairing bikes I would steer clear of this unless you can talk him down in price where you could part it out and get your money back if you found some serious damage to the bike. - AND if you are serious about buying this offer to wash the bike. This is where you will find the damage. This is great advice - its non-intrusive and you can get a good feeling as to how the bike sits.

speaking as someone who has wrecked many times and totalled several race bikes - generally speaking bikes are pretty tough - they can take quite a bit of damage and stilll run well and be safe; however resale will always result in many questions, like the ones your asking. So be prepared to answer them when you sell the bike, assuming you buy it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I see the decision was made but for future reference: some states it is fairly painless to get a salvage registered. NY is NOt one of them. If it was already registered, I would have considered it but hyou don't want to have to try ti do it yourself, IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts