Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I my general dow shifting goes like this: pull clutch/roll off throttle, shift down, blip throttle to match road speed, let out clutch. Now on my car, I usually shift down AFTER I blip the the throttle in order to match the gear speeds. I know bikes gears are all meshed already, but I was wondering if I should still be bliping throttle BEFORE the down shift to avoid damage of some sort?

Second question is about this whine from the tranny I hear when downshifting to neutral at over 25 mph, for example as i roll up to a red light. Is this normal operation, or something I should avoid doing becauses it damages the transmission?

G

·
0 Posts
From my experience, and more so what I've been told, you shouldn't downshift to neural when coming to a stop.
The bike should be in gear, and when fully stopped in 1st with the clutch in so if some cage comes up on you real fast and is unable to stop you will be able to pull away and not fumble for a gear.

so that didn't answer any of your questions, but its pretty sound advise.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Depending on how often you clean your chain when you coast to a stop in neutral that noise could be your chain clanking or whistling in the wind(I don't know how to explain it just chain noise). When I down shift I blip right before I change gear then let clutch out right after.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I don't blip throttle, I crack it open a bit and slip clutch to me it's too easy to "overblip" and unsettle the suspension and even break rear wheel traction in some situations, this is smoothest method of downshifting I have been able to master

when comming to a stop I look in my rear view mirror before I decide if I am going to stop in neutral or first, I always downshift thru the gears as i approach a stop, brakes rearly are applied until the last 5 feet. I prefer to be in neutral at a stop so I can get a chance to get my hands off the bars and stretch my arms.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Blip throttle before gear change.
Also you do not have to completely let off the throttle before the blip and gear change.

I will often shift to neatral coming to a stop only AFTER I have checked my mirrors and my 12 is secure. That being said you need to be carefull when coming to a stop on a motorcycle for the threat of being rear ended by a car.

Yes the gearbox is gonna whine coming to a stop. There are gears spinning around in there and gears make noise as do sprockets and chains.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Everything should happen at the same time. I'm pulling in the clutch, depressing the pedal and blipping all at the same time. The goal is seamless smoothness when the clutch reengages. It should feel like you've backed of the throttle smoothly. There should be no jerkiness at all. The whine is normal.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
it can be hard to perform smooth blips at low rpm, downshifting and slipping the clutch is smoother(as long as your clutch is adjusted properly).

now, high rpm, aggressive riding, blipping is easy and makes for much smoother downshifts.

N

·
0 Posts
As far as leaving it in gear-clutch in- at a stop, consider what would happen if you clutch cable failed (not uncommon), your hand slipped or you lost your footing momentarily. There's only a few absolutes in roadcraft, and this isn't one of them but if the situation allows, put 'er in neutral.

:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I guess I just dont understand the whole "blip" thing...
The term suggests to me rapidly opening and immediately closing the throttle...is this correct?

I use a lot of engine braking in stop-and-go city riding. Basically, as I'm slowing, I close the throttle completely as I pull in the clutch, downshift, and leave the throttle completely closed as I gradually let out the clutch. I'm pretty smooth with it, doesnt seem jerky at all, it rapidly slows, but I dont let the engine race really high. Anything wrong with this?

When I'm at speed and need to downshift, I close the throttle as I pull in the clutch, downshift, and gradually open the throttle (to match engine speed to road speed) as I'm letting out the clutch.

Am I doing something wrong? Does using a lot of engine braking cause any damage to the engine?

Oh, and about shifting to neutral at a stop. I do it every single time. Gives me a chance to relax my grip on the bars, stretch my arms a bit, and work the stiffness out of my back. As far as safety and the time it takes to shift to first to get out of a dangerous situation...seems to me that if you see someone about to hit you or something, if the bike is in neutral you can quickly just drop the thing and haul ass away on foot! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts