Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing some suspension upgrades to my bike soon. I figured that would be a good time to get some stickier rubber as well.

My buddy suggested getting a sticker tire for the front like an Metzler M-1 and a harder compound for the rear like a Metzler Z6. The idea being that my rear tire won't wear doing a lot of commuting, and I'll have good traction for the next track day.

I'm not real keen on the idea myself but I'd like to get some opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Apparently you are being snubbed, so I'll bite...

Is it possible? Yes. Recommended? Maybe, depending on the circumstances. In your case, the use of the bike for a track day makes me lean toward no: I would keep a matched set of sport rubber for the track. I am not a track day rider, so take it for what it's worth ($0.02). Throw on a set of Michelin Pilot Powers and ride...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply SCS. +1 karma for you.

Will Michelin Pilot Powers develop a flat spot on the rear quicker then the stock D220 tires? Balancing out track day fun with work day realities causes some issues.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
gsguy-- Yes Pilot Powers will develop a flat spot quicker than the D220s under normal commuting/touring duties. Powers seem to last in the 4-7K mile range while D220's should last in the 8-12K mile range. I have not used the Powers and have used the D220. The D220 wears like iron with the trade-off of reduced grip. The Power sacrifices a little tire life at the expense of fantastic grip (according to all of the tire posts on this and other boards that I scout). Again, I am not a trackday guy, but if I did sign up for one, my bike would not be wearing D220's either front or rear. Any tire that a conservative, 30ish throttle junkie can override in the street should not be used on the track...

I currently have on Pilot Roads (Michelin's sport touring tire as opposed to the Pilot Power, which is a sport tire) and have not had any need for additional traction in nearly 12K miles. If you want a pure sport touring tire with loads of grip and especially good cold/rain traction, this is a great tire. A comparable tire is the Metz Z6 (and its twin, the Pirelli Diablo Strada) which you are currently looking at.

I guess it comes down to how many track days (and also pace and track temperature) you expect to see during the lifespan of the tires. Just talking out of my bunghole, I think a modern sport touring tire could adequately handle one trackday, although you may override the tire and find yourself wanting more grip/performance while at the track. Any more than one track day (or blistering heat/race pace) and I would lean towards the Powers and not think twice about the 3-5K miles I would be 'missing' with the Powers. From everything I hear and read, the Powers are that damn good at mixing track/street performance and tire life.

HTH

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I ran a stickier rear for a while when I replaced my stock MEZ4 rear w/a Diablo. The front was still the MEZ4- I had no problems w/it.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I run mixed tire combos all the time... no big deal

running the stickier sport tires like Diablos and M-1s... i use about 2 rear tires for each one front tire that wears out. So your friend's suggestion makes sense but... it may require you to take a little more caution on a track day because you may find yourself getting comfortable with the front tire and step out the rear with a little too much gas but... if you can feel what the tires are doing... this shoudln't be that much of a worry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts