Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello --

I'm new to the sport of motorcycling in general and I'm located in the Minneapolis MN area. I've just purchased my first bike, new 2004 SV650S.

Question on break-in maintenance -- for the maintenance interval around 600-700 miles -- should the valves clearance be adjusted for the break-in maintenance period -- or is simple oil change and giving a "once over" of the entire bike sufficient?

I'm aware that valves will certainly need maintenance when I put more miles on the bike -- around 10,000 and then around 25,000. Or something like that. But I'm presently trying to justify the "break-in maintenance" charges that the dealership is trying to throw at me, and wondering if valves need adjustment this early or not.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated -- either here on the board or email me at [email protected].

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
43 Posts
nationaljoe said:
Question on break-in maintenance -- for the maintenance interval around 600-700 miles -- should the valves clearance be adjusted for the break-in maintenance period -- or is simple oil change and giving a "once over" of the entire bike sufficient?
Joe:
For the 600 mile service all that needs to be done is an oil change (and change the filter too!) and giving the bike a "once-over" , check the nuts and bolts and thats about it. If I remember correctly, the valuves need to be inspected (according to the manual) at 15,000 miles.
I would suggest saving the money and doing the service yourself. If it makes you feel better you can splurge and buy the Suzuki OEM oil filter. Make sure you keep all the receipts, just in case you run into warranty issues. Other than that, you should be set.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nationaljoe said:
...But I'm presently trying to justify the "break-in maintenance" charges that the dealership is trying to throw at me, and wondering if valves need adjustment this early or not.
What wadaribaba said!

Its just an oil & filter change, & a once-over by checking bolt and nut tightness to factory spec, chain sag, etc. stuff you do anyways probably once a month. I suggest you do it yourself and save the rediculous $100 or so dollars they charge. If you're going to do this yourself, get a Suzuki service manual which has all the torque bolt specs.

For oil, get whatever 10W40 you like, but I would recommend the Suzuki OEM or K&N filters. (...wait, did I just start another oil recommendation thread!! :shock: )

You don't need to do a valve check until 15K, and for the gen 1 SV/SVS, everyone that has checked them haven't had to do anything to them because they were still within the factory specs.

HTH - Ravi

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where can I get the latest and greatest service manuals?

I downloaded the ones for the 2003 SV but I own a 2005.

Speaking of break-in periods, what if someone were to errr...accidentally run his bike for 4-8 minutes at 6000 rpm, well above the recommended 5000 rpm listed in the owner's manual under "break-in period recommendations?"

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
also clean/lube/adjust linkage, cables, levers, clutch, brake, chain, take things apart if necessary to get things clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts