Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad back and have since I was a kid, now that I'm turning 30 it seems to be getting worse, is there anything you guys can recommend that helped you when riding a S model. I have thought about clip-ons but they seem so expensive. Do they really help alot. I dont seem to get that sore of back from riding the bike its just Im planning a long trip this year and dont want to be hindered by this problem.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I as well have a bad back and to be honest it feels better when I am on the bike than when I am off of it.  I guess luckily for me mine hurts the most when I am more in an upright position.  As I bend over the pressure gets relieved allowing my back to feel better.  Needless to say I spend a lot of my time when riding leaned over onto the tank.  BTW my bike is completely stock and my back pain is waaay down low and right between my shoulder blades.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
This is gonna sound stupid, but get your self a red inflateble rubber gym ball from your local sporting goods shop. (about 12-14" diameter). Lean on it with your chest on your tank for long rides, you can adjust the hieght with air pressure, and its fulcrum by moving it fore and aft a little. it works, but sounds crazy I know.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I don't know that clipons would help anything. Matter of fact - clipons will force your weight even farther forward.

Where is the problem with your back? Way low - mid?

The rubber ball idea isn't a bad one - I've seen several tankbags that offer a spot to lean and take weight off your lower back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruefus said:
I don't know that clipons would help anything.  Matter of fact - clipons will force your weight even farther forward.

Where is the problem with your back?  Way low - mid?

The rubber ball idea isn't a bad one - I've seen several tankbags that offer a spot to lean and take weight off your lower back.
I actually am more comfortable on my bike then my car cause you lean forward on the bars and take the weight off of your back. But Im just concerned over a long (2,000 mile trip) trip that it may act up. I guess clip-ons raising the bars may not be the best Idea. My problem is mid to low back and more of an aack then anything else, and my doctor so far has been no help. I know how to ice down at night and I know some stretches but they dont seem to help alot. And I have emergancy vicadin (Brett Farve Specials) for nights when its really bad, along with Mobic (Anti-inflamitory) and another muscle relaxer. I guess Im just more concerned and looking for any help anywear right now.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
For me, the low and forward posture of under the triple clip ons on my SV is therapeutic: it forces my back to stretch out and follow the natural curvature of the spine. I've been a sloucher all my life so the clip ons help me out tremendously...

After a long or spirited ride, my back will be slightly sore (in a good way, though, similar to the way your muscles are sore after a workout at the gym but there won't be any spinal pain. I also feel that using clip-ons makes more efficient use of your core trunk muscles more as well (abs, back, gluts and hip adductors).

YMMV...

[edit: one of the best home cures for general lower back pain is to strengthen the core muscles, specifically the abs; results in the form of less back pain and increased mobility are usually noticeable within a couple weeks to a month]

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had back surgery 2 years ago for a herniated disc in my lower back, I have really low vortex clip ons and the riding position is pretty comfortable, I actually think its better than the stock S clip ons, because you have the ability to adjust them to any angle, height.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The thing you need to figure out is what's going to alleviate the problem. Is it your upper body - or is it where the pegs place your hips. I know from riding bicycles for a long time that a mere 2 degree change in saddle tilt can (and has) solved many a problem for me.

A set of adjustable rearsets and a set of Convertibars would be the ticket. 'Course I'm spending about 700 bucks of YOUR money - but those two combined with a good saddle (another 400 :) ) and you'll be as comfy as you'll ever get.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree I am more comfortable on bikes than in car, where I have very bad driver's slouch due to my height. I try to go to my chiro on my bike and it helps my adjustment. I get some funny looks at chiro's office on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The only way I was able to get on top of my back pain was a daily regimen of stretching exercises.
I still remember the look of horror that I had when I was told I had to stretch out my hamstrings!

He was right, until those tight muscles stretched out, I was unable to go through life without debilitating pain.

I always stretch out before a ride ... especially a long ride. All it takes is less than 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I have had back problems for about five years,an id agree with some of the others the s model is more comfortable. When it really bothers me I stuff a pillow in my tank bag so I can lean on it,only problem is it does keep you from really getting down on the tank in the wind. I have found a strong stomach helps do crunchesevery day if you can .

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Every back is different. You need to find what works for you. I really liked the S, but absolutely would not be able to handle the riding position. The naked is perfect. As you've read some folks with back problems are more comfortable on the S. There are some things that are universal.

Keep your weight down, your flexibility up, and strengthen the muscles in the pelvic girdle especially. It helps to stay strong all over but the pelvic girdle is the most important group of muscles. If you haven't been to a sports orthopedist you should think about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I suffer from lower back problems, I have found riding my SV-S therapeutic. the reason being that I force myself to adopt a concave back profile instead of the more normal convex. I.E. lift my shoulders. Perhaps a throw back to my childhood when I used to ride horses, I learnt to grip with my knees and to take my body weight from the hips. I still do this when on two wheels.

It really does help. Although if I am suffering from spasms. I keep well clear of the bike. The pain can throw me off chairs etc. I would hate it to hit me when the throttle is fully wound back.

·
Registered
703 Posts
What about acting on the forces that act on the lower back? Suspension improvements, better seat, peg position (would affect hip position), vibration dampers in the bar (bar snake, better bar ends).

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking the SV just may not be the best bike for a 2000 mile trip if your back is in really bad shape. I'm certain a new bike probably isn't in the cards for you, but it's probably what you need. Something with a better seating position, an engine that doesn't run high revs and vibrate you to death, and with a more adjustable and better suspension.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I have to agree with the statement every back is different. I had lower back surgery the end of summer last year and now it hurts to even sit on a bike with clip-ons. I took my friends '05 GSXR750 around the block and came back in A LOT of pain. I couldn't imagine riding that bike for any real length. In fact I am buying slightly taller bars for my naked to help improve the situation and get more upright. So listen to your back and don't do anything that it doesn't like, or you will regret later.

Daily walks and exercises have helpd me greatly, as well as getting rid of extra "insulation" around the middle :). It seem sthe stronger my stomach and legs get the less my back hurts.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Coop said:
I have to agree with the statement every back is different. I had lower back surgery the end of summer last year and now it hurts to even sit on a bike with clip-ons. I took my friends '05 GSXR750 around the block and came back in A LOT of pain. I couldn't imagine riding that bike for any real length. In fact I am buying slightly taller bars for my naked to help improve the situation and get more upright. So listen to your back and don't do anything that it doesn't like, or you will regret later.

Daily walks and exercises have helpd me greatly, as well as getting rid of extra "insulation" around the middle :). It seem sthe stronger my stomach and legs get the less my back hurts.
Don't make the mistake I made on only focusing on strength ... flexibility is even more important than strength!

There has to be a balance between the two. The overly strong muscles will actually cause the smaller muscles in the back to tear which leads to more imbalance between strength and flexibility.

It was only after focusing on stretching my hamstrings and doing a lot of groin stretching and other standard back stretching exercises that I was able to get on top of things. I still get back pain today, but only after doing something stupid that I should not be doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts