Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=31243.0
...with no further updates

Has anyone actually ever drilled out some fork drain plugs yet? Most of my old bikes had drain plugs on the forks which made changing oil a total cakewalk. I'm considering it, but would like to learn from anyone elses mistakes if I can.

Thanks in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TWF said:
not enough material to put screw in fork.
Hmmm... do you how thick it is? Perhaps the thing to do is not screw directly into the material, but tap in a threaded bushing, into which you could screw a plug. Too comlicated maybe: 2 places from which to leak.
Or get someone to TIG some more material on there. Probably look crappy though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont remember exact thickness.there was tread about it before and I looked at fork.there was not enough to put treads safely in there.there are other ways and I am sure it can be done but not easy as drill,tread and screw.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Being a wise guy here ... (no karma to worry about!) :eek: ;D ;D ;D

There already is a drain bolt ... it is the damper bolt 8x30mm allen screw.

And it is a bitch to get off! :mad: :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know why the drain bolts disappeared, but when you remove the forks and dump-pump-flush-fill you can get clean out a lot of crap that would have stayed in if you simply drained the oil.

:)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Nothing like removing the Damper rods and flushing a couple of cups of kerosene in there.
My forks were new and I did not have anything there.

But I remember doing my motocross forks a couple of times and the only way I did a
good job was removing the forks to get at the sludge.

Bike has under 10k miles, short cuts are OK, bike has 15k or more, might as well do it right.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
TWF said:
dont remember exact thickness.there was tread about it before and I looked at fork.there was not enough to put treads safely in there.there are other ways and I am sure it can be done but not easy as drill,tread and screw.
Ditto.... I wanted to do just this and came to the same conclusion.
I thought about welding a piece of 1/4" plate to the fork leag and drilling/tapping that but too much of a PITA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts