Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pass down my SV650 to my girlfriend and buy a new bike. One thing I was wondering. Does the new SV1000 have the oil starving problem that the 650s had while in wheelies or high acceleration?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The 650 can wheelie with a simple twist of the throttle. Are you having trouble?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I Believe every bike has this problem. The oil pick-ups are at the front of the motor. If All bikes aren't like this, I believe all V-twins are.... I think. I know the TL1000S/R did, and this is pretty much the same motor.

jasonsv said:
I am about to pass down my SV650 to my girlfriend and buy a new bike. One thing I was wondering. Does the new SV1000 have the oil starving problem that the 650s had while in wheelies or high acceleration?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All V-twins?? Damn that sucks. I hear that even with excessive acceleration this can occur as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want wheelies ect without oil starvation you need a bike with a dry sump( oil tank) instead of the oil splashing around in the crank case / gear box it's collected in a resivouir tank and pumped out at a constant pressure at all angles. If you do a google search you can find some more detailed info.... Also they make kits to convert some bikes..not sure about the SV though......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe that isn't the cause of my oil leak. If the shop were to fill the oil up too much would there be a chance that the excess would start to leak out? My bike keeps leaking oil but I never have to add any. It always seems to stay at the fill line??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where is it leaking from? That is the first question. Second, the wheelie factor of the 1000 is downright impressive, a buddy of mine bought one and said he couldn't get the front end up, I gave it a shot and rode it out about a 1/4 mile (turn got in the way, I'm not Valentino Rossi) :shock: If you plan to loft the front for obnoxiously long distances you might go with a ZX-10, they put real-estate under the front tire also pretty easily :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could tell you where the oil is leaking from but it has presently stopped again....really wierd. Thanks for the info on the 1000. Another question though. If I were to go to a dealer to buy a 1000 could I pick up one that is fully faired(meaning does suzuki produce a fully faired SV1000??)? Not to hack on the naked bikes but I am becoming more and more interested in the fully faired look. Plus my girl friend is getting my SV650 as a starter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jasonsv said:
If I were to go to a dealer to buy a 1000 could I pick up one that is fully faired(meaning does suzuki produce a fully faired SV1000??)?
Suzuki does not produce a fully faired sv1000 or sv1000s. They make lower fairings for the sv1000s. A while ago, Suzuki had a promotion where you could get the lowers free on a new sv1000s. I dont know whether any dealers are still offering it. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found a bad ass orange sv1000 fully faired this past weekend but I didn't end up getting it. It was a 2003 or 4 with 500 miles on it for 7100.00 bucks. I probably shouldn't have passed it up. Oh well

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I had heard in other posts on the board, suzuki had fixed the oil starvation problem on the second gens including the 1000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jasonsv said:
found a bad ass orange sv1000 fully faired this past weekend but I didn't end up getting it. It was a 2003 or 4 with 500 miles on it for 7100.00 bucks. I probably shouldn't have passed it up. Oh well
That wasn't really that great of a deal.. I've heard of new left-over 2003 SV1000S being sold at $5999... New '03s are getting harder to find, but they're out there... Heck.. I remember seeing something a few months back about a dealer still having a few '01 TL-S still in crates....

R

·
0 Posts
I have an '03 SV1000S and i can do wheelies in first and second gear but third gear is giving me a problem i try to bounce it but it just wont give any advice would be great

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Matt McHenry said:
I Believe every bike has this problem. The oil pick-ups are at the front of the motor. If All bikes aren't like this, I believe all V-twins are.... I think. I know the TL1000S/R did, and this is pretty much the same motor.
They are no where near the same motor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I paid 6700 for my naked 03 sv1000 as a leftover this summer I beleive the same dealer still has a silver 03 sv1000s model for about the same i paid. I love mine its been a good bike I've put over 3000 miles on it since june 18.

L

·
0 Posts
3rd gear wheelie on the 1000 = some clutch work from what I've figured out...

you don't neccessarily need a dry sump oil system, they sell pick up's for stunt'ing, check out some stunt sites...

I paid 5300 +ttl and all the goodies for my 03' 1000 in January of this year... brand new

1 - 16 of 16 Posts