Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is going to be in NYC for a few weeks and I was thinking about heading up and crashing in the city for a weekend. That said, I have no idea where to park the bike in the city that would be safe. Most of the time I ride in DC I'm not parking for over an hour let alone over night.

I wanted to get some local insight if there's somewhere to park for the weekend since I don't see myself riding in the city much. Local insight being better than my guesswork I figured I'd post here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out primospot.com for available street parking. It's worked for me in the past. I don't do it, but you'll see a lot of people illegally parked but with no lic plate. they say without a plate number, the cop can't write a ticket, but I've also heard of people getting towed doing that. Most parking garages will not take bikes on an hourly/daily rate because of insurance purposes. Only month to month. Oh and almost all street parking is allowed on Sunday. Just make sure you read the signs carefully. They can seem a little confusing.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It's 1 weekend. If you are concerned about it just throw it in a pay garage. as long as you're not in midtown or some other trap it won't be too expensive, if the people you are visiting live a very expensive area just park it in a cheaper spot and grab a cab with your gear. For 2 days the cost won't be too bad.

That said, parking on the streets all depends on where you are going to be. Give a rough address or a neighborhood and I'll be able to be a lot more helpful.

Even if you just want advice on a garage post up the neighborhood where you are heading and someone on here may already park there or know the area. I'm out of the city now (after close to 9 years in Manhattan) but there are a dozen or so active NYC members on here, and most are pretty damn helpful.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Check out primospot.com for available street parking. It's worked for me in the past. I don't do it, but you'll see a lot of people illegally parked but with no lic plate. they say without a plate number, the cop can't write a ticket, but I've also heard of people getting towed doing that. Most parking garages will not take bikes on an hourly/daily rate because of insurance purposes. Only month to month. Oh and almost all street parking is allowed on Sunday. Just make sure you read the signs carefully. They can seem a little confusing.
Don't pull the plate, when they want to they either write the ticket off of the VIN or just impound the bike as abandoned. You can get away with it for weeks in the same spot and then one day they come through and grab every bike in a neighborhood.

I never had a problem with parking my bike in garages on a daily basis (on top of the monthly parking bill I paid for the bike), but I probably only did it a couple times per year when I was in NY, maybe things changed in the last year or so.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've parked Outside for almost two years with no issues and that's two bikes, the only issue I had was a mean neighbor cutting my cover because he's crazy, if you're willing to bring a bike cover and a chain then feel free to pm me and I can house you right next to my bike or across the street from it (sidewalk). I keep my plate on but I chain the SV to a bicycle thing, the bike is out of the way of pedestrians and with the cover no one notices. The other bike is a ninja 250 with no lock to a bicycle thing but it has a cover, anyone can take the bike of they want lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's 1 weekend. If you are concerned about it just throw it in a pay garage. as long as you're not in midtown or some other trap it won't be too expensive, if the people you are visiting live a very expensive area just park it in a cheaper spot and grab a cab with your gear. For 2 days the cost won't be too bad.

That said, parking on the streets all depends on where you are going to be. Give a rough address or a neighborhood and I'll be able to be a lot more helpful.

Even if you just want advice on a garage post up the neighborhood where you are heading and someone on here may already park there or know the area. I'm out of the city now (after close to 9 years in Manhattan) but there are a dozen or so active NYC members on here, and most are pretty damn helpful.
I will check into that and get back with it. Still a week or so out but I know they're getting put up in a hotel somewhere in the city, that's about all I've got for now. As long as the garages are good I can bite that bullet if need be.

I've parked Outside for almost two years with no issues and that's two bikes, the only issue I had was a mean neighbor cutting my cover because he's crazy, if you're willing to bring a bike cover and a chain then feel free to pm me and I can house you right next to my bike or across the street from it (sidewalk). I keep my plate on but I chain the SV to a bicycle thing, the bike is out of the way of pedestrians and with the cover no one notices. The other bike is a ninja 250 with no lock to a bicycle thing but it has a cover, anyone can take the bike of they want lol
I definitely appreciate the offer and I'll let you know. Seems like a garage wouldn't be too bad. When I was TDY up in the area every time I drove into the city and parked my car it came out of the ordeal with a new chip in the paint or ding/dent in the bumper. Figured as an out of towner I was missing the trick.

I appreciate the quick responses and I'll get back with the general location my buds are going to be at!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I definitely appreciate the offer and I'll let you know. Seems like a garage wouldn't be too bad. When I was TDY up in the area every time I drove into the city and parked my car it came out of the ordeal with a new chip in the paint or ding/dent in the bumper. Figured as an out of towner I was missing the trick.

I appreciate the quick responses and I'll get back with the general location my buds are going to be at!
There's a lot of garages that dont take motorcycles. You should contact Demian from Rydersalley.com and let him know you are a motorcycle enthusiast and that you want to park your bike there, im sure hell give you a special rate and its in a motorcycle garage ONLY so you wont have to deal with parking garages with shady attendants. He's got two garages, one in midtown and the other downtown in the financial district, very stand up guy.

[email protected]|917.669.3339

Let him know youre from the SVforums and the NYC guys told you about the garage.

I'm leaving the country for 1.5 weeks so I wont be on here, but good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts