Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought the racetech springs and and off brand emulator and took them into the shop to get worked on. when they pulled everything apart they showed me 2 little springs ( about the diameter of my bike finger and maybe 2 inchs long) that had gotten smashed up. they were sitting on top of a piece of white plastic and looked like they were suppose to sit inside of it and on top of the part #18 here http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-suzuki-sv650s-sv650sk1/o/m147719#sch270475 i think the plastic part was # 8. i didnt have time to order them right then and their so i just did a quick fix job on the spring stuck it back inside the white thing and set it on top of the small end of #18. so i went and ordered part #14 because it was the only other spring on the diagram and seemed to sit in the exact location of the one i pulled out. but the spring that arrived was WAY bigger than the other one that was in there. so now after all that to my question, anyone who has actually pulled their forks apart and seen this piece did the previous owner besides putting it in the wrong space ( on top of #8 instead of in between #8 and #18) use the wrong spring as well or did i some how get the wrong part?

·
Registered
426 Posts
To me, these look like top out springs. Usually found just under the top lip of the damper rod. See location on rods below.

#8 is a cone looking piece aka "bottom out cone". Some folks remove them when changing their stock damper rods with Traxxion rods. You can see it among the parts at the top right next to the golden looking screw in the pic. Be sure to get a shop manual and reinstall everything in the right order.

While you're in there, I would investigate a bit to find out why the original top out springs you found were mangled, or if they damaged anything else. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is yours a 1st or 2nd gen? when the mechanic pulled mine apart the white piece of plastic (maybe a bottom out cone) was sitting on the small tapered end of what in your pic looks like pig nails with the springs i have posted above wrapped around them. and the spring on the OTHER side of all of that. it looked like someone had taken them apart and when they put them back together got the order of those 2 switched up i re wound it and put it in between the 2 as it looked like it belonged. with a spring that big it would just slide down that rod as your is doing instead of sitting on the small tapered end and keeping the plastic off of it as i think it is suppose to do...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have Gen 1 SV. Pic is not of my forks, just using it to show the various parts.

The top out springs (as shown in your pic) are in place around the rod to prevent your suspension from hitting hard against itself when the forks top out (if they were lifted during a wheelie or sudden dip in the pavement). They may move during operation. Here is how they are placed and how it all works together.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i opened up my haynes and found it page 6-13 figure 8.18b the spring that was inside there was put OUTSIDE on the top and smashed, i re worked it a lil but i want a new one will i have to order the whole "damper rod seat" ?

edit also BB has it as a "piece, oil lock" with 2 different things at 2 different prices, am i going to have to order the whole thing new just for the spring inside?!

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
ok new question since i did the emulator install and drilled out my dampening rod are these even necessary?
Yes, you need the top out springs. They need to be in position shown in that photo, below the lip of the damper rod. I've got a set of second gen top out springs, PM your address if you want them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you need the top out springs. They need to be in position shown in that photo, below the lip of the damper rod. I've got a set of second gen top out springs, PM your address if you want them.
its not the top out springs im looking for, thats what i accidently bought. what i need is the spring that goes inside the "damper rod seat" as called by haynes or the "piece, oil lock" as called by bike bandit. i called the gurus at racetech and he told me that it helps slow the rod down when its about to bottom out and its not 100% necessary but if/when i bottom out it will be more harsh...

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
its not the top out springs im looking for, thats what i accidently bought. what i need is the spring that goes inside the "damper rod seat" as called by haynes or the "piece, oil lock" as called by bike bandit. i called the gurus at racetech and he told me that it helps slow the rod down when its about to bottom out and its not 100% necessary but if/when i bottom out it will be more harsh...
Ok, gotcha now. Race-Tech is correct, not necessary. I do prefer to use them on a street bike, but it's no big deal if they're not there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
you said you already drilled?? too late to say you didn't really need to.. huge debate on this in the forum, I decided not to drill and just use lighter oil. worked great. as I understand it.. biggers holes and thicker oil does the same thing as stock holes thin oil.. all I know is I'm very impressed with the way the forks perform now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts