Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to do a fair amount of highway riding as I commute to school (~30 miles one way, average traffic speeds of 70-75). I've found that my biggest problem so far hasn't been the traffic around me, but the wind - especially on breezy days. I'm currently wearing a backpack, which I'm sure acts like a big sail, and eventually I'll have that secured to the back of the bike.

Will lower fairings make the bike more or less susceptible to getting blown around? I know it will deflect forward air from my legs, etc., but what about winds coming from an angle or the side? For those of you that added the fairings after some highway experience, what changed about your ride?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Won't really help any. But the look great!

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
ebbtide said:
Won't really help any.
Plus one... Used to have these... Now, its naked... Really, doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the fairings are primarily cosmetic? Any effect on gas mileage?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Releaux said:
So the fairings are primarily cosmetic? Any effect on gas mileage?
IMO yes.. I have no noticed temp difference, or gas mileage changes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well the fairings will only help deflect wind around your legs from the front... a little. From the side though, I think they will act like more of a sail than the bike alone would. More side-facing surface area after all. I have heard a few people say that the temp goes up a few degrees, but well within specs... one or two have reported slightly better gas mileage, but not with the OEM lowers only aftermarket... and that could be from less weight as opposed to better aerodynamics though.

In the end its mostly about looks. I like them a lot, others don't. Its really up to you. It won't hurt or help the bike either way really.

·
Registered
899 Posts
When I put mine on I noticed a little higher temp (2 degrees) and no real difference in any other aspects. Mostly cosmetic in my opinion. Of course there is the puzzle of why most race bikes are faired?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, a properly designed fairing does a lot for drag reduction, but it seems that the SV wasn't designed with any wind tunnel time involved. The shape of racing fairings tends towards smooth and blobby (ducati GP), but the SV is very angular, to match the styling cues of the frame. Just take a look at the old 'dustbin' fairings back in the '30s or so, or modern streamliners from Bonneville. Or even the 'busa.

I am going to try making a custom set out of fiberglass, with an eye towards drag reduction. Think about this- the current speed record for 50cc motorcycles is over 120mph. I won't be able to get results that dramatic, of course, but I think I can at least make a decent lower for less than $100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts