Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a first gen track bike ... I'm the third owner of it and so far I've been very happy with it, my one big question is ... how hot is too hot?

Sitting at idle it'll get into the 220's which seems high to me ... then again it doesn't have a fan ... on the track it'll come down to about 170ish ... just wondering if I should be concerned about the idle temp.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
So I've got a first gen track bike ... I'm the third owner of it and so far I've been very happy with it, my one big question is ... how hot is too hot?

Sitting at idle it'll get into the 220's which seems high to me ... then again it doesn't have a fan ... on the track it'll come down to about 170ish ... just wondering if I should be concerned about the idle temp.
Nope, that's normal. Don't let it it idle too long.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
my old 400 (no fans, no thermostat) did the same thing. i would advise against warming it before you get on track; the warm up lap will get it in shape. otherwise, the first few laps, especially if you're in a pack, will keep it hot.

i sold my 400 when it was 16 years old and 10 years after it's last rebuild. never warped a head.

if it makes you feel any better, my sv gets really hot after a race too (and i haven't done a thing to it motor-wise).

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
With no fan you need to watch the high temperature warning. The engine temperature is controlled by the thermostat. When the coolant hits the thermostat temperature setting it opens and cooled coolant from the radiator flows to the engine until it hits the thermostat and it closes again.

What you are describing is a thermostat that is always open. The fan would normally kick in somewhere around that temperature to help cool the coolant in the radiator.

Don't sit at idle too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts