Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've got a question for you guys:

I went to look at a '05 SV650s the other day, just as a reference the only bike I have ever sat on was my brothers '05 GSX-R 750 (sat on, not ridden), and I see this bike parked in my garage everyday. Immediately I felt out of place on the SV, the tail section seemed much lower than in pictures and compared to that of the GSX-R, and I felt like on the GSX-R the gauges and windshield were right in my face and the SV it felt like they were really far away. All of that for some reason made me question whether this was really the bike I wanted, I understand that a GSX-R to an SV is not apples to apples, but from what I've heard about the SV I really thought as a first bike this one would meet my needs, for lack of a better term I guess. Is this just something I have to get used to or what? I really want to stick with Suzuki and away from Kawasaki or Honda (not that I have anything against them, just this Suzuki is beautiful), and any type of cruiser. The fact that I've never ridden and haven't taken the MSF course yet tells me I don't need a super sport bike because of my inexperience. I have heard the SV is a great beginner bike. Perhaps actually taking the MSF course will help me better decide. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Take the MSF course first if you haven't ridden before. Then define what you want in a motorcycle. No reason on earth to stray away from Kawi, or any other of the big Japanese manufacturers IMO. They all make great bikes. You just need to find out what you want in a bike.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the MSF course first if you haven't ridden before. Then define what you want in a motorcycle. No reason on earth to stray away from Kawi, or any other of the big Japanese manufacturers IMO. They all make great bikes. You just need to find out what you want in a bike.
I wanted to stay away from the smaller/beginner Kawasaki's and Honda's because they can't touch this bike in looks and power. But don't take that as my ego wanting the biggest most powerful super sport bike on the road, because I don't. If I wanted a GSX-R, CBR 600 or an R6, or any other super sport for that matter, I wouldn't be here. I think, and I'm sure many people will agree, that for a first bike you do not need to be on a super sport of any kind. But I will be taking the MSF course soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The riding position on the SV can be easily changed for better ergonomics coming close to a gsxr.

rearsets (or rearset riser plates) and a bit higher seat height will put you closer to the front of the bike and improve handling as well...adjustable clip ons will also get you closer to a more aggressive riding position. I just raised my seat height and handling improved immensely. I lowered it before that and it threw the handling off.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The riding position on the SV can be easily changed for better ergonomics coming close to a gsxr.

rearsets (or rearset riser plates) and a bit higher seat height will put you closer to the front of the bike and improve handling as well...adjustable clip ons will also get you closer to a more aggressive riding position. I just raised my seat height and handling improved immensely. I lowered it before that and it threw the handling off.
Yeah I feel like the previous owner, whom I knew, lowered the bike, both the current and previous owners were shorter than me. I'm 5' 10", they must have been between 5' 7" and 5' 9".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Id just ask them if they lowered the bike in anyway, the difference will be like night and day if done improperly.

It took me 4 tries to get my seat just right. Lowering the bike via the dog bones or triple clamp drop has different effects than just redoing the seat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Get the new Kawi Ninja300. Great-looking smaller bike that will be more forgiving yet capable of a lot of fun. I know of a LOT of super sport riders that are considering selling their bikes and "downsizing" to the 300.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Only thing about the old ninja 250 is that fuel economy goes out the window when you ride them hard. Acceleration is lethargic compared to an SV also.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah even if it hasn't been lowered, I still would rather have an SV. I guess the seating triangle is just different from what I expected. Plus I walk by a GSX-R everyday when I walk into my house, so I think the tail section height is something I'm more accustomed to. Anyways thank for the idea about changing the rear sets, if I decide to change some things, I'll target that after a seat height adjustment.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ergonomics on every bike are different than the others. Stop by a dealer with different brands and sit on all of them.
I've got a k3 SV650 naked. It's up and back. That's the config that I wanted in a second bike for downtown and side roading.

Buy used for a first bike. It likely won't be your only bike, so take your time deciding which way you want to go.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll definitely buy used, no sense in dropping a brand new bike, or worse wrecking it. Plus I'm a college student, so I'm not making money like that. I want a sport position, but not a super sport bike. I guess the SV650s fits into that category. I can always change things about the bike to get a different stance. But now that I look back at the day I went to sit on the bike, in my mind it actually felt pretty good. But I'll save looking at another one for after I've finished the MSF course.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought my 2005 Sv650s for $2700 with 18k miles 4 days ago and I am IN LOVE with my bike, I registered today to find places to ride and possibly meet new riders to teach me some things.

Definately get the SV its got great power in the bottem and mid end and not to bad at the top. It gets up to speed well and a blast within legal speeds just as much as it is over 120.

I recently rode a 2006 r6 after i rode my SV and I really dont like the SS bikes ride an SV see if you like it but i guarentee if you ride an R6 then ride an SV you will definately like the SV more.

Plus i pay 294 dollars a year for full coverage on my bike and I am 23 years old with a clean driving record. Progressive hooked it up.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my 2005 Sv650s for $2700 with 18k miles 4 days ago and I am IN LOVE with my bike, I registered today to find places to ride and possibly meet new riders to teach me some things.

Definately get the SV its got great power in the bottem and mid end and not to bad at the top. It gets up to speed well and a blast within legal speeds just as much as it is over 120.

I recently rode a 2006 r6 after i rode my SV and I really dont like the SS bikes ride an SV see if you like it but i guarentee if you ride an R6 then ride an SV you will definately like the SV more.

Plus i pay 294 dollars a year for full coverage on my bike and I am 23 years old with a clean driving record. Progressive hooked it up.
Haha Nice man. That price is pretty much what I want to pay for one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
At the moment the only other bike i would consider over the SV is a 05-06 ZX6r

Sat on one and man was it comfortable, fit me like a glove for something that leans to the aggressive side. It's a SS bike but the riding position is much more relaxed than an R6, CBR or GSXR.

Maybe look into the FZ6R & FZ6 also

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the moment the only other bike i would consider over the SV is a 05-06 ZX6r

Sat on one and man was it comfortable, fit me like a glove for something that leans to the aggressive side. It's a SS bike but the riding position is much more relaxed than an R6, CBR or GSXR.

Maybe look into the FZ6R & FZ6 also
If the FZ6R handle bars didn't put you so upright, I'd consider it more. Looks good though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Haha Nice man. That price is pretty much what I want to pay for one.
Buy in the winter wait till Nov or Dec I was gonna wait and get the abs model but found a great deal on my bike with all the mods I would have done anyways like +1 tooth front , k&n air filter and 2brothers exaust new tires and the color I wants. Just be flexible and wait for a good deal and also remember dont skimp out on gear . I spent now 980$ on gear because I have wrecked before o. My drZ400sm so I know the value of good gear.

Sent from my R800at using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buy in the winter wait till Nov or Dec I was gonna wait and get the abs model but found a great deal on my bike with all the mods I would have done anyways like +1 tooth front , k&n air filter and 2brothers exaust new tires and the color I wants. Just be flexible and wait for a good deal and also remember dont skimp out on gear . I spent now 980$ on gear because I have wrecked before o. My drZ400sm so I know the value of good gear.

Sent from my R800at using Motorcycle.com Free App
If the bike I want is still for sale in November around the 25th, I'll probably contact the owner and make arrangements to have it taken to a shop for a check up and a test ride. My birthday is the 25th so it'll be my birthday present to myself. It's already got all the modifications I want to do.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts