Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 SV650N and was going to change the final drive gearing (drop a tooth in the front). When I went o remove the stock 15T countershaft sprocket, I noticed something I have not seen before, a rubberlike ring of material around the outer face of the sprocket about 3/8 thick. Does anyone know what this is? Will removing the stock sprocket and replacing it with just an aftermarket metal one effect anyting (Is it a crankshaft sensor device?- Confounded, please advise! thanks....M

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
It just helps silence the clacking of the chain. You dont need it. Although the noise the chain makes irritated me enough to go back to the stock sprocket just to have the rubber silencer again.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder If I put a ring of high temp black silicone sealant on the new sprocket and sort of make my own damping effect if that would work?- thanks for the info, I just wanted to be sure it wasnt a sensing device....M

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Job done, 14T sprocket installed, bead of high heat silicone sealant applied, no chain clatter, more low end grunt, riding a gear high than before in most situations.....Good results and easier wheelies! Zippy commuter now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts