Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put an inline 4 in an SV650 frame? Gimme the skinny!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Why would you want to take out the heart and soul of your bike? The twin is what makes the SV great. :)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
teamfaith said:
Has anyone put an inline 4 in an SV650 frame?  Gimme the skinny!
NO the SV, engine is a stressed member/intigral part of the frame design.

·
Registered
744 Posts
With enough time and money you can do anything with anything.

I don't believe that engine is a stressed member in the SV. It's hung by itself from the frame, and doesn't carry any loads that I can see.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
zoltan said:
With enough time and money you can do anything with anything.

I don't believe that engine is a stressed member in the SV. It's hung by itself from the frame, and doesn't carry any loads that I can see.
without the engine, the frame would not have it's stiffness, the engine is a crossmember of the frame, and does not float independently of the frame

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The engine is a stress member. And it would be a major pain in the A&&, If you could find one that fit in-side the frame. And why would you even want too? Buy a 600 spot bike.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know a guy who is in the process of installing a '72 air cooled VW beetle motor into his '00 SV. I'll get pics when he's done.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure that the frame is in fact a stressed member, any more than in most other traditional MC engine applications. No suspension loads are tied to the engine (i.e. swingarm pivot in case or Telelever), and the steering loads are transmitted directly to the frame.

If you could drop another engine into the SV, what would it be? I can't think of one that would fill the bill AND fit inside the frame (TL etc aside).

:)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Unless it's just going to hang off the bottom in a particularily ugly and ground-clearance killing way, it'd have to be a v-twin or single, almost certainly. And since there's few smaller twins that anyone would want to put in an SV, and not that many bigger ones, the options are pretty few aren't they? TL, Aprilia thou, big Ducati or similiar... And then you get seriously into "why bother".

The idea of a TL motor in mine does appeal though :) Just for a ludicrous project. Streetfighters mag here we come!

·
Registered
93 Posts
An inline four would never fit, as has been stated above, it's too wide to fit between the frame rails, so would have to go below, which would make the engine too low. I was pondering a big single though the other night. That could be fun :) There's a few race bikes out there that use the new water cooled motorcross ~450's in 125 frames that go extremely well. I've seen one of those beat SV's, I think a big single in an SV frame has real potential.

Andy

·
Registered
82 Posts
RandyO said:
NO the SV, engine is a stressed member/intigral part of the frame design.
What he said.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Making a supermono out of an SV would be a pretty bad move, really you want to put that single pot into the smallest, lightest chassis that'll hold it, for maximum uncontrollable terror :) Though for some reason some of the supermono racers are using 748s with the rear cylinder removed and blanked off. I came across a roadgoing Cagiva Mito 125 supermono with (I think) a KTM 640 motor in it- it sounded broken, looked like a toy, and absolutely could not be touched in the twisties. I've never seen anything like it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a question on this topic. How difficult would it be for 'Zuki to come out with a V4 SV, essentially 2 heads with 2 cylindersper head? This way they may be able to up the displacement a tad. I'm not sure if this would be lighter or heavier, I guess it would involve how thick the metal between the two cylinders needs to be to be able to sit next to one another. Not only that but we then could have a power stroke every 90deg of the crank. Would this be feasible?

Grav.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ask Honda and yamaha, they've been making them like that for years... V Max is a V4, so are most (if not all?) VFRs among others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts