Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the priming pump that engages before starting the SV. I think it is the fuel pump, but if that is wrong someone please correct me.

I purchased a 2003 SV650 about a year ago, and have put several thousand miles on it so far. I always park the bike in 1st gear, and have always noticed that when I go to start the bike, I put the key in and turn it, then once I put it in Neutral I hear the pump engage. For the first time this week I noticed several instances where the pump started priming before I put it in Neutral (while still in first gear).

I am not sure what is totally normal for this bike yet, and I am hoping that it will not be an issue, but I know that this is the right place to ask these kinds of questions.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When you turn the ignition to the ON position, the fuel pump will prime. Doesn't matter if the gearbox is in neutral or any gear. What you experienced is normal operation. The sound you hear is actually the pressure regulator, not the fuel pump priming, but all is well.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are you sure you not just psyching yourself out?
RMAN is right- its a pretty straight forward circuit...

I would just keep riding it- sounds like it does exactly what everyone else's 2nd gen does :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, it looks like I am psyching myself out. What else would I do on a day off lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts